Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing new rims and tires for my foci, finally some extra ca$h!!!

I came across these tires wich i believe are awesome as far as performance goes, and the looks are really nice.

This is all at TireRack,

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 215/45/17 87W $88 ea + $42.24 road hazard program = $394.24 + $37.24s/h = $431.48

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 215/45/17 91Y $135 ea + $64.80 road hazard program = $604.80 + $37.24s/h = $642.04

As far as i kow the only differences are the load capacity and the speed rating.

load capacity 1201 lbs against 1356 lbs

speed rating 168 mph against 186 mph

I normally drive alone or with the GF, i mean we are not Calvin Klein models but we are not Willy and Shamu either, a little bit more to love!!, jejeje .... and hell if i can go over 75mph, with all these old people driving down here in Florida

My question is, do you guys think is worth the extra 210 bucks??, i don't think so, but maybe there's more to consider besides what i mentioned, any comments welcome

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i'm a tire man by trade, and i would say just go with the 87W. if you don't make it over 75, you'd just be wastin money IMO. and also, IMO, goodyears aren't all that... GOOD. once again, just personal opinion. but if you want the Y rated tires, take a look at my mods, these tires are just awesome, and they look VERY good. they sell them at the tire rack, and they're cheaper than the Y rated goodyears.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... i didn't expect an answer so fast, so thank you, i appreciate that..

I guess you are right, hell if i go over 80 with the GF with me, she starts with the yadayadayada...ticket...yadayada the cops..gas ...so i don't go over 70-75....for my own sake...jejejeje

I saw your mods, and your tires are awesome, but the difference in price is quite a bit for me, they have 'em for about 117 ea, wich comes up to about $570 shipped... still about 30% more.

Goodyear are not all that good, that's true, definetely not better than the BFG's you have, but they are not bad either... this model in particular has good reviews. and for 88 bucks a piece?...i think the price is awesome.

Let me know!!!

Thanks Shadowrunner

BTW your car looks awesome, like the color!!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The Y rated tires will, in a likelihood, wear quicker as well. In reality, you rarely need more than an H rated tire for spirited street driving.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Umm goodyears aren't that good in general, but the Goodyear's he's looking at are ridicioulsy good. Probably in the top 5 best performance tires out there. It's a very agressive thread and you're handling characteristics will be signifccantly improved in both wet and dry. But i would go with the cheaper tires, b/c your focus is never going to hit 186mph or 168 for that matter.
here's a link that shows you how well these tires compare to other tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I have these tires and I suspect anyone who says these tires are not "good" has never driven a vehicle equipped with these tires. They are excellent tires, and far better IMO than the stock Continental tires the SVTF came with.

Normally I would say that high performance summer tires would be overkill for an SE, but since the tires are $88 why not?

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is a great price. The best I could find those goodyears for was $111. If you like tirerack, they rate those tires really high. The only tire that rates better is the General Exclaim UHP, in that category. However, the Goodyears rated better in wet and dry handling.
I had a set of those on my G35, and they were great. They did not wear fast. Plus I dont think you will get your focus to go over 168 mph..........

If you spin out your tires, keep poor alignment, etc, yes they will wear quick. Just my opinion, I like to ride on the best tires I can afford, and the GS-d3 rated just a s good as The michelin pilot sports to me. I could not tell the difference in the wet, they both had excellent grip.

Personally, I think tire rack has good stats on tires, and I have never went wrong using their reports in the last 5 years, of cousrse I used the top tires, Goodyear GS-d3, and Micheling pilots, and pilot a/s. I used Gatorbacks and other goodyear tires and honestly they sucked, but the d3's were awesome. Every tire company has a good and bad tires. The d3's are a great choice. My friend has been in the tire business, and have had great reports from those tires,......Discount Tire man, he is.

If you want to save about 4 pounds per tire, go with the General exclaim, although they have a little softer sidewall. If you are not tracking it then they will be fine, and they are rated the #1 tire in the class, but reports say they have a little less grip than the goodyears. However, according to tire rack they both are over 8.7 in the ratings, on a 1-10 scale.
I thought I would try out the Generals this time. If you take a print out of the price to Discount they will match the price, and charge an extra $8-10 for shipping.

You still need to get those babies mounted and balanced. I went with the General's, 215/45/17, with road hazard, lifetime mount and balancing, and the special balance of the rim and tire, to match the heavy side with the light side, walked out for $500.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank y'all for the feedback, i really appreciate everything.

But as everything in life, nothing is as we plan, i was told yesterday we are going to be laid off on July 2nd, after years with the company, so tires and rims have been deleted from my priority list, i have to save because rough times are coming, i am sure i will find a job soon but i think i have to just wait, i was even thinking about getting the hiboost turbo kit for my car and just put half on my credit card, wich offers me 7.99 fixed APR, and the other half cash, but i'll be charging walmart and publix instead and keep my savings for the rainy days coming ahead.

Once again thank you,

Alex <------unemployed

·
Registered
859 Posts
guarinox said:
...Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 215/45/17 87W $88 ea + $42.24 road hazard program = $394.24 + $37.24s/h = $431.48 ...
With the road hazard at nearly 50% of the price of a tire you might consider passing on it.

Basically you are paying TireRack in advance for TWO EXTRA tires!

I say put $84.48 in your savings account just in case you bang up a tire and then take your girlfriend out to dinner with the other $84.48 you saved! You can get a lot of mileage with this one: "Good news honey! Was going to spend a bunch of money on tires, but then I thought about it for a bit and bought less fancy so we could share a nice night out together!"

Or, if you are really fond of curbs and potholes skip the dinner and put whole 168.96 in savings and then you can bang up two of them!

And in the end, if you don't bang them up, the $84.42 (plus interest) is in your savings account rather than TireRack's and your girlfriend will think you're both wise and sweet!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 help!!

EricR said:
With the road hazard at nearly 50% of the price of a tire you might consider passing on it.

Basically you are paying TireRack in advance for TWO EXTRA tires!

I say put $84.48 in your savings account just in case you bang up a tire and then take your girlfriend out to dinner with the other $84.48 you saved! You can get a lot of mileage with this one: "Good news honey! Was going to spend a bunch of money on tires, but then I thought about it for a bit and bought less fancy so we could share a nice night out together!"

Or, if you are really fond of curbs and potholes skip the dinner and put whole 168.96 in savings and then you can bang up two of them!

And in the end, if you don't bang them up, the $84.42 (plus interest) is in your savings account rather than TireRack's and your girlfriend will think you're both wise and sweet!
The road hazard is 42 bucks for all four tires, it'd be really stupid to pay 42 bucks for each tire, so i guess you were right not to spend the money on road hazard, but like i said is 42 for all 4 tires.

There's no point now, unfortunately i can't buy the tires, but hey, is good info for other people.

·
Registered
859 Posts
^^^ Oh. OK & thanks.

Yes I can read, just sometimes I don't. [?|]

Sorry you had to point out what was already obvious in your OP!

Just let me know if you wish to continue receiving such unapplicable advice (otherwise I'll slow down and read a little more carefully)!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You get a $100 cash card and a "Cars" CD when you buy a set of 4 at Tirerack now. Stock SVT size (215/45WR17) are still on sale for $88/each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts