Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have an aem CAI, borla exhaust, race header w/o cat, roush suspension. what should go next in the majority vote. want to keep in NA. is a cam a good way to go? or throttle body (it's gonna be on soon anyway). intake manifold? i am new at 4 cyl. motors and really dont know how to build one of these things. i love the car but it's way to slow from the factory. vtec civics eat these things and going from a 5.0 mustang being beat by a civic is kinda like a kick in the groin. any advice is nice. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
cams would be nice, but u should really get new cam gears as well and have then tuned. you will find that it will perform a lot better after that. u could also think about getting the ford racing head if you got the cash. with that combo you would be looking at some pretty good gains. but other people will chime in on other things too. good luck

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
TUNE, TUNE, TUNE!!! once you get the cams and cam gears in and tuned, then reflash the ECU with a better tune for higher octanes etc.

·
Registered
789 Posts
do the cams and gears first, then 65mm tb, a '00 intake mani ported with a 65mm intake hole, then get and xcal 2 to flash your ecu and go to a shop to tune the cams.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice there. i was looking at a cylinder head and a set of gears. with v8s the first thing most people do is put a set of gears in them but a focus already has 3.82s or something like that and the only other ones i found were 4.06s and that is way to low especiallydriving the car regularly. also a diff. would be a good idea it seems like. you cant take off fast with one tire getting power. what would it seriously take to get this car to get into the 13s? also. what can the stock motor take? it's a 4 cylinder car. i would imagine the crank, rods, pistons, or anything else for that matter is built to take any real power. i have seen focuses turbo charged and superchargerd but no nitrous either, nitrous is great if you use it wisely, purchase a good setup, and dont spray too much depending on the setup. some people say that these zetecs are strong, some people say otherwise. i know the 4G63 mitsubishi motor is a tank from the factory until it starts making serious power but i dont know many people that have build a truly fast focus. again. thanks for any advice and it is greatly appreciated. i like the idea of having a quick front wheel drive car. i have had an MG with a ford 302, a 87 camaro, and a 92 mustang 5.0. the mustang was stock but it had great torque from the factory (and forged pistons) and the camaro wasnt fast at first but it got built right and ran 13's consistantly. this car is a little bit of a mystery to me. little car, little motor, but fun as all hell. it handles really well with the new suspension, and when you get it up in rpms it's not bad power wise. but it really needs more. is this car safe for nitrous/turbo/supercharger.my buddy has a used jackson racing supercharger he would sell for reasonably cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts