Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eventually going to do a header and full exhaust on my 2005 2.0 with 5 speed tranny. I know absolutely nothing about how to make a 4 cylinder exhaust sound good,the v8 in my 95 f150 is a different story,the cherry bomb extreme muffler and headers make a great exhaust sound!! I know how NOT to do it from all the 4 cylinders running around here with fart cans and sounding like an angry bumble bee. Is there a muffler I can get that won't restrict the rest of the exhaust but maybe have a deep,throaty rumble,or any sound besides the pissed of bumble bee sound?[rofl] I would rather have a stock sounding exhaust if I have to settle for buzz buzz!![woot]

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Header and FSWerks stealth exhaust

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a trubendz 2.5in exh with an obx header and my shit screams! I love it. It won't be quiet AT ALL but if u decide to not care about how loud it is then forget the stealth haha.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't care about loud as long as it is a good sounding and not annoying buzzy/ricey loud,and I can still hear the passengers talking in my car. lol

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
as far as that deep sound your wanting you need a flowmaster 40 series muffler(= trust me you will be happy with the results. no ricer sounds here just nice deep rumble. and it should get deeper when i put the header on this week(=

·
Registered
529 Posts
Magnaflow with an OBX header on a 2005 2.0L

I get compliments from strangers all the time about how mine sounds, the video does it no justice as it is poor quality and the crackling and popping is from the 4MP camera I used to record it. That was revving to about 3500, at 7200 it screams

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Below is 27 pages of all kinds of exhaust setups and video clips to go with them.

CLICK HERE.

Check out the sticked threads for tons of information.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
F/W's Stealth muffler & header= win

I am eventually going to do a header and full exhaust on my 2005 2.0 with 5 speed tranny. I know absolutely nothing about how to make a 4 cylinder exhaust sound good,the v8 in my 95 f150 is a different story,the cherry bomb extreme muffler and headers make a great exhaust sound!! I know how NOT to do it from all the 4 cylinders running around here with fart cans and sounding like an angry bumble bee. Is there a muffler I can get that won't restrict the rest of the exhaust but maybe have a deep,throaty rumble,or any sound besides the pissed of bumble bee sound?[rofl] I would rather have a stock sounding exhaust if I have to settle for buzz buzz!![woot]
Shocker=[:D]
You have a 4 cylinder motor, so it's never going to sound like a V/8. I'd use a F/W's header & one of their stealth muffler's

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the suggestions!! Yes I realize it won't sound like a v8.but it doesn't have to sound like an angry bumble bee,either!!lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
i have trubendz fitment pissed me off had to have it constantly adjusted just get the fswerks it saves a lot of headache or buy trubendz from somone that knows it fits well. mine is the magnaflow with a 14' res and a hfc and it sounds awsome. nice and deep.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
you see the key to making your car not sound like a can of bees is upgrading the exhaust size!

seriously..... all those cars that sound like crap still have the stock exhaust tubing that's 1.75" for the focus and I think possibly 1.5" on most hondas from a few years back. cut that off and put a cheap muffler (expensive one might help the noise a bit) and well there you go.

big pipe and a good muffler, you're sounding great...... big pipe and cheap muffler, probably not too bad either.

edit: oh yeah and there's just something about the duratec that sounds good. Noticed that with the MS3's at the dyno day.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
It is going to sound different w/ a header, than w/o, you know!

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's a lot of ways to get a nice throaty exhaust sound. The big thing is, how much money are you wanting to spend and how much money are you willing to spend. Once we (everyone on the forum) know that tidbit of information, it can really help narrow down what you can get brand new and what you can get used as well.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Do it right or don't do it at all!

There's a lot of ways to get a nice throaty exhaust sound. The big thing is, how much money are you wanting to spend and how much money are you willing to spend. Once we (everyone on the forum) know that tidbit of information, it can really help narrow down what you can get brand new and what you can get used as well.
You get what you pay for. Whith that said= Take some pride in your work, & think it thru. Some people are better off having some one else do it for them. Nothing wrong w/ that, then trying to cobble up something, that look's & sound like rice. There is a reason why F/W's has a stealth system. Why have to redo it. You don't want come back's in your shop do you? & you don't want to go back do you?

·
2,272 Posts
I have been very happy with magnaflow products. I had a 2.3 focus with trubendz 2.5" exhaust and magnaflow muffler and cat. It sounded great and kept that sound quality even with a race header, though the volume was just too much for me. No riceyness to it at all. Now I have a magnaflow muffler and xpipe on my BMW and it just sounds like sex.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts