Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is vibrating like crazy at idle up to about 1300. It's beginning to drive me a little insane after driving my girlfriends Mazda3 for a few days, being between the two I can really feel a difference and I'm thinking it could be mount related.

I have replaced my rear motor mount out with no help in the vibrations. My passenger engine mount looks fine, and I don't know about any of the other mounts. Or if they often go bad. I believe I am getting the infamous "growling" from under the hood.

If it is the passenger mount am I good to run to AutoZone and pick up a duralast or whatever mount they sell or should I go to aftermarket , is it worth it?

One last question, since this recent cool weather my front end sounds like shushy ice going over the speed bumps when I first take off, my suspicions are my struts are blown.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Hey Willy, grab a floor jack w/ a piece of 2x4 on the saddle & put it under the motor on the passenger side w/ just a very slight pressure & start the car & see how that feels. For a psm, I'd get either a motorcraft/ford one or a poly one & nothing else. Waste of time & cashola to run anything else.

Reactions: Tundrafoci

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Just a thought to take a little load off the mount to see if your vibration goes away or subdued some what.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It came! Can't wait until the weekend so I can get it installed!

Also got new rotors, pads, moog end links for the front, shocks and struts.... and a few things for my wife's Tahoe.

Please excuse the sheet on my love seat, I've got two big Pitt/Boxer mixes! LOL. We keep the couches covered.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Slick, I've always been told when it comes to the passenger side mount go Ford or go Poly. I had them put a new Ford mount on my car when it was in the body shop. It helped a ton, hopefully the lower mount will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my mounts "tested" at Ford and they said both my lower and passenger mount are fine and working properly. My research ended me with one more mount, the transmission mount? Anybody ever replace this ?

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
I'm about to replace mine. It's shot. Got poly inserts to put in. I don't get any severe vibrations from the bad mount just clunks when shifting and going over bumps. I had really bad vibrations when my PSM was bad. Replaced that with a OEM unit and it got rid of them.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I got my mounts "tested" at Ford and they said both my lower and passenger mount are fine and working properly. My research ended me with one more mount, the transmission mount? Anybody ever replace this ?
I did when I replaced my reverse switch, went w/ a vf engineering poly mount.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have the purple Massive mount shown a few posts earlier ... It's loud, that's for sure.

But it's a different loud than the failed passenger side mount.

The passenger side mount caan look good even if it's failed.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The weird thing is since I got my header the vibrations have really lessened up. I was sitting in traffic today thinking do I really even have vibrations any more? No change rattling, I couldn't hear my doors rattling. I guess the idle changed to a better spot. Now I'm looking at performance mounts thinking if the passenger one is worth it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Throw a dsm/psm vf engneering set on board, Willy.

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
The header itself could easily be absorbing some of the vibration, but it may crack doing so.

Any engine felt vibration on these cars generally comes mainly from the pass side mount since that is the one supporting most of the engine weight. The others can cause a little vibration but they will not fix as much as that pass side will.

One would have to have like a research facility to truly check a hydraulic mount for full operability, they can go bad inside in several ways that cannot really be tested for. Ford pronouncing those as 'good' and 'tested' is pretty funny to me. The dealer cannot really tell any more than the common man.

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
That one is easy as it is clearly torn as far as rubber to the aluminum case.

They can collapse to simply use up the airgap bumping distance inside too and then will vibrate since the hydro damping has ceased then. Will look fine on the outside though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey Willy, grab a floor jack w/ a piece of 2x4 on the saddle & put it under the motor on the passenger side w/ just a very slight pressure & start the car & see how that feels. For a psm, I'd get either a motorcraft/ford one or a poly one & nothing else. Waste of time & cashola to run anything else.
I'm going to have to try this as well. Awesome idea, never thought of it!

Don't go aftermarket. Second one is on it's way out, already. It's only been 2 months!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts