Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know if there are any good roads to drive on in or around the MI lower peninsula area. Don't mind going for a bit of a drive (from Detroit) as long as it's a fun road, preferably with some good scenery along the way. Will go anywhere in MI lower peninsula, maybe UP, or upper Ohio/Indiana areas. NOT going to Illinois, PERIOD.

There's absolutely NOTHING worthwhile within an hour or two of Detroit, and I'd REALLY like to take my new Focus out on the twisties a bit. So I need a good stretch of road with a good speed limit.

Any thoughts?

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Good luck, I've been searching for years. Tail of the dragon is not close, but its definately worth a weekend trip. I will let you know if I find anything.Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
I love the UP, everything up through the Keweenaw Peninsula. My favorite road in MI is 26 from Eagle River to Copper Harbor, its an amazing stretch of road. There are a lot of good roads up by Traverse City too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
M-22 going towards sleeping bear dunes, M-115 going through benzonia (lots of hills), US-2 along lake Michigan in the UP is good too. Don't know too many that are real curvy

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck, I've been searching for years. Tail of the dragon is not close, but its definately worth a weekend trip. I will let you know if I find anything.Matt
Posted via FF Mobile
Isn't the speed limit 35 there now? No interest in a reckless driving ticket, as from what I've seen on TV those roads would be NO fun at such slow speeds. I don't mind speeding a bit, but 15 over is about my limit...after that, jail time and car being impounded becomes a seriously possibility.

I love the UP, everything up through the Keweenaw Peninsula. My favorite road in MI is 26 from Eagle River to Copper Harbor, its an amazing stretch of road. There are a lot of good roads up by Traverse City too.
I do love the UP, but I never noticed how the roads were up there. Always seemed to be pretty straight. Traverse City might be interesting, though...

M-22 going towards sleeping bear dunes, M-115 going through benzonia (lots of hills), US-2 along lake Michigan in the UP is good too. Don't know too many that are real curvy
Michigan should raise some money by deregulating some of the 'funner' roads...toss the speed limit, spend a few extra bones taking care of the road, remove the speed limits (or raise them greatly). I think it'd draw a lot of people in, especially with our fantastic scenary.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the keewenaw peninsula is 550-600 miles away! lol.

well, it depends what you want. i consider twistie's and windy roads only if they are gravel! lol, i know if you go to the boonies in central michigan area (and i don't mean lansing. between m10 and where i75 and 127 meet, there is ALOT of very twistie corners w/ high speed L5's or 4's into alot of very tight 90's or steeper. its more fun to get the car sideways! lol. but i don't know where you can go other than the UP for road type areas. you could always go to waterford hills!! lol

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does Waterford Hills have open track days for amateurs? Or are there open track days pretty much just open to whoever? I'd love to get out on a track but not sure I care to be around the real expensive cars my first time...

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
yes, its open to everyone. doesn't matter if you have a ferrari or a yugo. they have novice classes and experienced. you can't pass unless you get a wave by or you are on the straight and its very obvious that you have 500 more hp! lol

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
I heard waterford is expensive, and you gotta get tech'd in right?

Brad, we will have to chat some more about these twisty roads you speak of.

Joey, if you find somewhere and want company, I'd be more than willing to roll out on a Sunday afternoon with ya.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
M119 is on the drive around the coast from TC to Mackinac, that's a solid stretch of road for sure.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Doug please investigate!

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts