Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good axle brand? Ive read that axles are often defective and I dont got time to find out. I Saw a pair of DTS axles on amazon for 100. please let me help me out, im tired of metro.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
NAPA usually sells good brands... try giving them a call before you order from amazon.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
A1 Cardone as sold by Rock Auto are good, I bought the pass side and very surprised at the quality vs. the low price I paid. Excellent part and running for a while now. Can't beat $50 for the entire NEW axle from trans to wheel.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
There are two arms to the A1 Cardone, one is all new manufactured and the other is reman/rebuilt ones... I cant recall what tips off which is which. Also Rock auto has a 5% discount code available for members of the forum. Rockauto has great customer service and I order most my parts through them, only parts I get else where are when I need them faster.

The only thing that Rock auto has lacked IMHO is the shipping costs and times. and this is more from Amazon's 2-day free shipping than anything else, but the costs and the delivery times sometimes brake the cost of a good deal and might as well just pick it up at the store and pay sales tax on it.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Yep, my son has Amazon prime so Rock and Amazon fight turf wars here all the time. Rock sometimes adds up the shipping in multiples depending on where parts come from and that can kill the deal there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Be careful where you buy. I have a leak at the axle, even though I had a new axle seal installed. Some of the remanufactured axles have wear on them that causes leaks around the seal. I've only used a Motorcraft axle once since they're more expensive, but it didn't leak around the seal, either.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In my experience, it rarely pays to purchase a rebuilt or remanufactured axle assembly. New axles can be purchased for as low as $50 depending upon application and rebuilt or reman axles are, in most cases, within 10-15% of a new axle price. In my many years of German car work, one cv joint alone (at the dealership level) cost within 15% of a new axle assembly, plus the additional labor to disassemble the cv joint/stub end and put the new part on and lubricate the joint/end.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
New is better. I have trouble going with rebuilt as they can try to reweld up the worn slots in the outer CV joint housing to then remachine out and no way will a rebuilder have the quality there a new part brings. And then they grind off part of the OD of the seal area to clean it up and then seal can leak since not grabbing as tight or not at all for a colossal leak. Of course they don't bother to OD check the work for spit at those low Chinese prices.

I've even seen new for cheaper than rebuilt lately and just plain wonky that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts