Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good bye lunch box

I guess you could call it an "Exhaust system circumcision".

I had my car in getting it's studded tires changed over (autocross tomorrow) and decided at the last minute to have them remove the "lunch box muffler" (last muffler, right behind the rear bumper). $75.00 and several hours later the deed was done.

I can't report any performance improvement (slight if any) but the tone is slightly different, with a little more resonance, and slightly louder. I like it! Unfortunately it will bump me out of G Stock for no real performance improvement. This is no biggey, since I am never able to make all the autocross events due to my job. There will never be a chance at taking a local class title.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
get a pic if you can. Was wondering how they cross the piping over from where the stock system enters the lunchbox and exits at the tip. I so want to get mine hacked too

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The two photos show it from the exhaust end, and directly beneath the upstream weld. I can see that it's a slightly smaller diameter, and the bends aren't the best, but I suspect it's still less restrictive than the the muffler it replaced.

I took it for a spin, and think I've actually received a small h.p. gain.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
sweet....I appreciate the pix. I'm going to get mine hacked off asap!

·
Registered
189 Posts
did you know that under the lunchbox are just two holes. The exhaust pipe makes an "S" Bend inside the lunchbox. All you have to do is to weld two peices of metal over the two holes where the lunchbox resinates the exhaust. No need to get a new rear section made. Just cut off the lunchbox.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But think of all the weight I saved!

I didn't know that. Mine is sitting in the back of my car. I'll get a can opener and take a look.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
FocusInAlaska said:
Unfortunately it will bump me out of G Stock for no real performance improvement.
Nah. You're still legal in GS. [;)]
"13.10 ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN
E. Any part of the exhaust system beyond (downstream from) the
header/manifold or catalytic converter, if so equipped, may be
substituted provided the system meets the requirements of 3.5.
"
Here's 3.5:
"3.5 MUFFLERS
Adequate mufflers are required for Solo events. The criterion of
“adequacy” is not what the exhaust system consists of, but the
sound level. Any car deemed by the Event Chairman or his
designated representative to be excessively loud shall not compete
without acceptable modifications installed on the car.
"

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. They made the same determination at the event, but it's nice to have the actual reference.

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Good job, I did the same thing awhile back and noticed the smaller tubing as well...I don't think it hurt at all. If you like the way it sounds now, try the Hi-Flo Cat...maybe 5-8hp and it sounds totally awesome.

Chuck, do it. You'll love it. [thumb]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts