Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good amp to hit a single 10" JL Audio W7. I looked at the JL amps and was not impressed. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good mono-block amp that will get the most out of a W7? My budget is arround $500. Thanks!

-Brian

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 10W6 with a JL Audio 250e/1 class d mono-block that rocks! It hits harder than my buddies 2-12" Kickers with a 600W amp!

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
JL Audio 500/1 would be your best bet...you should be able to find them for $550 or so...or less on ebay, but I wouldn't go that route.

Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only problem with the JL amp is that they're not very efficient (sp?) and the run a bit hot. I plan to stash a 4 ch and a mono in the spare tire well (without the tire). I'm worried that the confined space will cause excess heat.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems...there is nothing wrong with an amp that is somewhat hot to the touch, that just means that the internals are staying cool and that the heatsink on the amp is doing its job. And the JL amps are quite efficient, they will do rated power from 11.5-14.4 volts without any problems whereas other amps may put out less power at lower voltage.

Mike

·
Registered
109 Posts
from personal experience I would say go with the JL 500/1 amp. Never had a problem with overheating, and I believe it is very efficient. Never had a problem and this is my second one ( first one was stollen ). I'm pushing a single 12W6 and it pounds.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
both of those amps will do 1 ohm, so running at 3 ohms will run cooler [;)]

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
The 10W7 is a 500 wrms sub, but can pretty safely handle 600-700 wrms.

Mike

·
Registered
329 Posts
Tell me what amp your thinking of getting and ill try to get a good price. I get most stuff real cheap. Like the Panasonic AVIC Z-1 for $1300. Just an example. We carry most brands.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am doing as much research as possible before I buy. I was looking at the big Memphis Belle for an all in one solution, but I'm not sure if it has enough power to get the most out of the W7.
It's 300x1 at 4 ohms, and 600x1 at 2 ohms. I can't find any information about how they rate their amps (if the power ratings are conservative or not).

Can you hit me with a price for the big Belle? A good price might sway me into selling the W7 to my buddy and picking up a different sub. Thanks!

-Brian

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ill check but i think we just stopped carrying memphis about a month ago so our stock is dwindling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts