Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty much a car audio noob all though i have installed everything in my previous cars. I am looking for some nice 5x7/6x8 speakers to fit my front and rear doors of my new car. I want to have some sort of components in the front with the tweeter mounted on the A-pillar and regular speakers in the back.

I am looking to spend around 100-200 buks for a pair of components. I could see myself spending around the same for the rear speakers. I was looking at Infinity's before but it seems like a lot of you guys think you get get better for your buck. I also read good stuff about Rainbow SLC's but they are too much for just one pair of components.

Again, i am new to this so i just need something that is going to sound very clean for an SQ set up, but i also want to buy speakers nice enough so i wont need to upgrade later on! I am thinking of running a 12 inch RE sx in a slealed enclosure for my bass if that has any bearing on the type of speakers i want. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have Infinity Kappa 5x7's (coax), which are now almost two years old and they have been troopers. They have held up to everyting I've thrown at them and sound great too. As far as components go, there are a few options for you. Being that I own Infinity, I have to recommend them, however I have heard good things about Alpine Type S and Type R's.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I don't know if it's me, but I feel the Infinity Kappa's lack bass. My auto EQ feature would boost the signal as much as possible (shows a graph of how much is boosted) to get some low end bass out of the speakers. I put in some cheapo Pioneers and they didn't need as much bass boosted (per the graph).

I will agree that the Infinity's are nice and can take some decent power, but I have 2 that are broken. One won't play out of the woofer, the other won't play out of the tweeter - reversing the connections (put tweeter on woofer, vise versa) says that the crossovers are good, but the speakers are bad.

I'm searching for some decent speakers, but I need to decide if I want components or coaxial up front. IMO, components would be a waste because the speakers are up high in the door already - but I'm still debating what to do.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^The Kappa's have a 3 year warranty on them for parts and labor. I work at a store that sells them, and I looked them up in our computer one day just to see what the warranty was, and it's 3 years. So, you should be able to get yours fixed/replaced for free if you want.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I've heard that the RE SX isn't a very musical woofer... Any reason why you're going to use it for an SQ setup?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I like my JL Audio TR570-CXi's

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Btw, lots of people will say not to worry about the rear speakers. Might want to get some opinions, though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
glowin3232 said:
I've heard that the RE SX isn't a very musical woofer... Any reason why you're going to use it for an SQ setup?
Well mostly because of my male ego. Im sure the sub hits really clean, but it also has the potetnial to get some serious SPL, or as i like say the panty dropper subs. I think they could posibly be compared to a LJ w7? Those subs hit HARD but also heat very clean.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Toolman00 said:
I don't know if it's me, but I feel the Infinity Kappa's lack bass. My auto EQ feature would boost the signal as much as possible (shows a graph of how much is boosted) to get some low end bass out of the speakers. I put in some cheapo Pioneers and they didn't need as much bass boosted (per the graph).

I will agree that the Infinity's are nice and can take some decent power, but I have 2 that are broken. One won't play out of the woofer, the other won't play out of the tweeter - reversing the connections (put tweeter on woofer, vise versa) says that the crossovers are good, but the speakers are bad.

I'm searching for some decent speakers, but I need to decide if I want components or coaxial up front. IMO, components would be a waste because the speakers are up high in the door already - but I'm still debating what to do.
Toolman00 is right! I have 4 Infinity Kappa and they lack bass but they are the best choice for Subs companion (90W RMS).

If you are going to have only speakers in the doors, Infinity Kappas are not the option, try Pioneer or RF.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^I have the Kappas that are about two years old, and used them without a sub for about seven months, and wouldn't say they lacked bass.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I bought some adapters to use 6 1/2in speakers in mine. You can easily make your own but i bought them. I use Polk/Momo components and they are great.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
SVT_BMXer said:
I bought some adapters to use 6 1/2in speakers in mine. You can easily make your own but i bought them. I use Polk/Momo components and they are great.

I was actually thinking about doing the exacty same thing. Making some custom baffles out of 3/4 MDF and using non hardning model clay to seal them up. I was also looking at the momos, i hear they are really smooth up top but also pack some serious mid-bass to complelent the low hz's of the sub.

Is there any problem fitting the 6 1/2's in the door pannel, i.e depth. Do you still have plenty of room to fit the stock door pannel on or does the speaker depth come close to interefering witht he window rolling down?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
klepto said:
I was actually thinking about doing the exacty same thing. Making some custom baffles out of 3/4 MDF and using non hardning model clay to seal them up. I was also looking at the momos, i hear they are really smooth up top but also pack some serious mid-bass to complelent the low hz's of the sub.

Is there any problem fitting the 6 1/2's in the door pannel, i.e depth. Do you still have plenty of room to fit the stock door pannel on or does the speaker depth come close to interefering witht he window rolling down?
No they fit fine. I bought some PVC 1/8in baffles off ebay and they work great and do not hit anything, and the momo's have fairly large magnets. My polk/momo's actually sound better the louder they are, so crisp and clear but also have great mid-bass.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Pkmgarf said:
^^^^The Kappa's have a 3 year warranty on them for parts and labor. I work at a store that sells them, and I looked them up in our computer one day just to see what the warranty was, and it's 3 years. So, you should be able to get yours fixed/replaced for free if you want.
Problem is that they are probably 3 years old by now, plus I purchased them from somebody off of a forum (back when I had my truck).

Decent speakers, yes, but they need a subwoofer to compliment them.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
infinitys are not made for bass. they were developed for high overall sound quaility not bass thats why there not what u want if u want bass get alpines or u can get a whole audioban componet system for like 100.00 on ebay brand new, but my comp system that i hav ei had the alpines to go with my 2 L7's and it was way more then human can stand

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cruzstyle said:
infinitys are not made for bass. they were developed for high overall sound quaility not bass thats why there not what u want if u want bass get alpines or u can get a whole audioban componet system for like 100.00 on ebay brand new, but my comp system that i hav ei had the alpines to go with my 2 L7's and it was way more then human can stand
I tried out some infinities at a local shop and they were just harsh and in your face. Didnt sound anywhere as good as Rainbows or Focals.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts