Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after debating on rims I decided to just keep my stock rims because I kinda like the softer ride then with having 17's. The ST rims are nice but they were just too plain so I'm gonna paint them but I need some advice before I do so. What kind of paint should I use and would it be a good idea to do a coat or two of clear afterwards to make them shine and protect them??? Also will I have to paint them again every so often or if I do it right will the paint stay???

Here is a very rough pic of what it should look like with the color I want.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
If you do it right, you won't have to mess with them. Check in your area and see if there is a powdercoater around. Much tougher than paint, and it can be fairly cheap.

If you are gonna paint them, prep work is the key, and good paint. Check on the powdercoating first.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
To answer your questions:
Yes, the paint will stay. The important step is to use Etching Primer.
You should only have to repaint them if you used a hard chemical (cleaning product) that can ruin the finish if you didn't wait the 1-2 for letting the paint cure completely. I used Eagle-1 tire cleaner, and my rims totally faded.

I have painted my stockers twice, my friends after-market rims, and tomorrow I will be painting my ASA KA3's.

I will be more than happy to run you through the whole process.
Methodology:
1) If you have tires on the rims, you have several options of masking depending on whether you want a silver/polished lip.
- You can mask off the lip with masking tape, and throw newspaper, or garbage bags over the rim and mask it off.
- You can try my method (saves time). Tuck shop towels between the tire and the bead of the rim. Use a card you don't care for, or expired AAA card if needed. Over spray the rim, the lip and all... 10 Minutes after spraying, apply paint thinner/lacquer thinner to a microfiber towel, and wipe paint off, leaving an unpainted lip for contrast.

Preparation:
-Remove wheel weights.
Sand down, of scuff up the rims... you don't need to strip the paint off the rim. Just remove the finish. I recommend fine-grit, such as 320-400. No need to spend an hour per rim, unless you are doing rim repair with JB-weld (I used JB weld to repair my rims, look for an upcoming thread)

- The general idea is to have a perfectly prepped surface. No dirt, grime, or anything stuck to surface that is to painted.
- Primer: I recommend a high-quality etching primer. Get this at you local auto paint supplier. NAPA, Kragen, Auto-zone should stock this.
- Apply 2 thin (or light) coats of etching primer. Don't go over-board.
- Wet-sand primer if necessary for over-spray, runs, etc....
- After 10 minutes, (letting primer dry to a tack) spray your paint.

Finishing touches
- Spray your paint. About 3 or 4 coats should do it.
- Go slow, and from the distance listed on the can. If you notice paint starting to run, increase distance.
- Have the paint cure for a number of hours. (I usually wait at least 1 full day before doing anything with them.
- Don't wash them, wax them, or use any chemicals to clean them other than water and a microfiber cloth for the first 1-2 months.
- If you had to remove wheel weights because they are clipped to the bead of the rim. Go get your tires balanced.

I'll post a new thread with pics tomorrow.
Obviously, tomorrow is painting day for me.
I have much to show.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well see I'm not painting my whole rim nor any of the polished aluminum part... I'm just painting the stock little divit the rims have that were factory painted silver... I dunno about the sanding, I'm pretty bad at that... Is it manditory that I sand???

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you look in my gallery you can see a pic of my rim up close and you can see the part that I'm painting.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
idk but it looks nice. Where and how much was the tint on ur tail lights?
I went with the tinted tails from Chad on this site... I bought a whole new set of tails instead of having my stock ones sent out and night shaded so I spent 160 but I'm not sure how much he charges for just tinting the stock ones.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But I do want it extremely shiney... So I should just rough the paint up is all, I don't have to go down to the steel or anything??? LOL

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
no, just scuff up the finish so it's no longer shiny, but a dull, smooth texture.
If you use gloss black, I assure you, you probably would not desire any clear-coat.
paint with gloss added just makes it easier. Just cancels out 1 step that prolongs the painting process.

Mind if I throw in a personal opinion...
the painting scheme you have going sounds original...
But I think it needs something else to add more to the theme you have going.

Basically seeing a stripes of black only on the center may look a little weird.
How about, painting the sides of the spokes black as well, only leaving the face of the rim, and surrounding areas as they are.
I'll try to illustrate.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm... You mean paint all the painted pieces of the rim and leave the aluminum untouched??? That sounds nice!!! But very time consuming...[scratch] [mecry] [xx(]

·
Registered
4,805 Posts

you can barely see the black on the sides.
But that's the whole point, no one sees it, because it's all blended in to look sick... almost like an OEM-factory option.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dunno, I like the idea but I don't know, it just seems too much black... I dunno.. I'll try the parts I was initially gonna paint and then if I think it needs more than I'll paint the inside of the spoke also.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
alright, post up pics tomorrow if you do.

I'll have a new thread going in the Exterior Mods... which is actually where this thread should be located.

Technical discussion is a slightly different topic.
Nothing much technical here going on...
I'll award you the style point though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts