Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing away with sealed air box on ZTS 2.3L. Is it OK to run w/o the MAF sensor? Can't find any parts that MAF with fit into. Literally square peg in round hole issue.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dude...not using the MAF is like asking if you want your car to run or not run. the MAF sensor is how the car meters incoming air for fuel adjustment. That MAF and the Bank 1 O2 sensor are the main ways the computer adjusts the fuel and timing of the engine. It is my understanding that Ford does not use pressure but volume of air to regulate the running of the engine.

I would buy an intake from Steeda or someone that knows how to make a correctly sized replacement MAF housing. If you are not going to use the stock piece the sensor fits into you need to use a quality made replacement because the sensor reads the volume of air passing around it. too big or too small the readings will be off and the car will run like crap.

I hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ceck the "stickies" and the Duratec performance forum....

There are instructions for a cheap mod. to install a K&N or similar type filter just by re-arranging existing components WITHOUT having to buy many parts...

To go WITHOUT the stock MAF, you'd need to install a different type aftermarket COMPLETE fuel injection system & computer... Probably an expense you aren't interested in incurring....

Even the Turbo'd Focuses use the stock MAF....

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2 to Furious....

The BIGGEST problem we see with replacement intakes is when the air tube at the MAF is a different size than stock - throwing off the metering so the car runs like crap!

Cheap intakes aren't worth a penny for this reason....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
They make cold air intakes for that motor....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I got my k&n for pretty cheap off amazon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, ended up re-using stock parts except sealed air filter box. 45 degree elbow off MAF tube, 90 degree elbow off of that, back into wheel well to cone filter.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
OK, ended up re-using stock parts except sealed air filter box. 45 degree elbow off MAF tube, 90 degree elbow off of that, back into wheel well to cone filter.
Within a couple of days you should remove the MAF and clean it with spray MAF cleaner. You will need to do this a few times over the next few weeks. Oil from cone filters contaminates the MAF, and makes it so that the car runs rich.

Did you put panty hose over the air cleaner?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts