Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going through alot of braje fluid (i have to refill it at once every two weeks [scratch] ). I am getting annoyed having to keep refilling it all the time. I was wandering where should look first and is there an easy way for me to find out where its leaking at (any tips, tricks, or special places that i should look for) thanks guys

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
check around the calipers...see if there are any leaks?

bleed the entire system, there may be air in the lines

check around the master cylinder for any residue of fluid

check the floor boards on the driver side for fluid thats leaked into the interior

·
Registered
12 Posts
brake booster is filling up with fluid.wait long enough and it will make some weird smelling smoke.
pop off the master c. and ck the back.don't have to take the lines off. just enough to
look

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The clutch also uses the same reservoir. Look under the dash for any telltale signs of fluid on the fire wall or dripping from the clutch pedal. The clutch master cylinder is a plastic and known to develop leaks as well.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The clutch also uses the same reservoir. Look under the dash for any telltale signs of fluid on the fire wall or dripping from the clutch pedal. The clutch master cylinder is a plastic and known to develop leaks as well.
What he said!!!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
check the rack, I twisted the crap out of mine cause of my driving, this caused a massive PS leak and i needed to swap out the rack, wasn't cheap, rack was about 250 bucks and it took me about 5 hours!!

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
reach under the dash and grab the clutch pedal and run your hand up it. bet when you pull it out its got fluid on it. as was said, the usual culprit is the clutch master cylinder which mounts to the firewall and has the seal go which causes the fluid to leak down the pedal and onto the carpet.
don't let it go to long or you may find yourself with no clutch action at all since it cant build up the pressure needed as it wears worse. That and if the brake fluid gets to low you may introduce air into the brake system which isn't a good thing either.
If I remember right it's about 70 bucks for the clutch master cylinder.
P.S. the brake fluid is gonna be a bitch to clean out of the carpet, but if not done the carpet will begin breaking down and wearing out fast.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys i just went and felt my clutch up and got black, brown, and clear stuff all over my hand then felt my carpet and it is soaked. My car also stinks really bad sometimes and i believe this is the cause of it. Is it easy to replace the master cylinder or should i get a mechanic to do it if so how much would they charge to install and a place to get one at a good price. Thanks Again Guys.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Not to difficult to do. Suggest you get a Haynes Manual to guide you thru the procedure. Cheapest replacement clutch master cylinder I found was from AutoZone at around 28.00. Rock auto also has them for just under 30.00

·
slow
1,734 Posts
is it the clutch reservoir, or the master cyl,cause it makes a diff. if m-cyl, ck the booster
for sure.
????

The clutch and brake reservoirs are the same reservoir. They are partitioned though. The clutch master cylinder is what's leaking, attached to the pedal under the dash. The slave cylinder is located in the transmission, and is metal, not as common of a failure.

Replacement is not too difficult, I did it in an afternoon with some help.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anyone care to post a 'how-to' regarding clutch master cylinder replacement?

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
All I can say is do not loose the metal clips that attach the lines to the master cylinder!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
had my CMC done at the dealer, ran me about 400.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts