Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Going on the 2.5 movement, build thread

8K views 55 replies 6 participants last post by  Rodknock 
#1 ·
Long time lurker, first actual post. I've had my 07 ST for about 4 years now. It's done me well but a few of the common issues with the 2.3 are piling up and instead of fixing it I will be upgrading to the 2.5. My intake sounds like worn out sewing machine and the thermostat keeps throwing the I'm too cold code. Not to mention at 130k on original clutch is starting to get weak and the flywheel shudders bad when cold.

Here's the plan.... 2.5 out a 2010 fusion with vct del/bsd along with the Mazda 3 dual runner intake. Doing the massive oil pan insert after the bsd. I will also be using the exedy stage 1 clutch with lightened flywheel. Going to use stock 2.3 cams as well as the exhaust gear on the intake cam to bypass the vct.

I'm not looking for full on race build, just a couple extra ponies and refresh a few things along the way. I've got an extra transmission with the 3.86 ratio and an extra 2.3 to steal all the parts off of while I still drive my car and build the 2.5. I have 3 other vehicles which include a 7.3 diesel F250, V8 swapped Ranger and a supercharged Mustang but like to bebop in the focus the best.

I'll start posting pictures shortly.

#3 ·
I'm more or less looking for a stock plug in swap now. This is my car I like to jump in and go 500 or 1000 miles without a concern. I've been able to hold out with just a cold air intake as far as motor mods for the last 70k miles I've had it. Its lowered on ford racing stuff, sway bars and svt brakes front and rear so that's all covered.

I've got a stage 1 non intercooled 8psi kit sitting on my shelf. Bought it used 2 years ago and haven't put it on because once you "mess" with it you open up the possibility for issues. If I decide to do up a motor with cams and what not I'm going to do the bottom too.

My cable throttle body solution on the intake will be a 65mm Explorer 5.0 throttle body. I'll make an adapter to mate the two. That way I can still keep the iac on the tb. I'll probably get an sct to mess with the idle. Probably need to get with you on that as my pcm strategy is not supported with the sct preloaded tuners.

#5 ·
I want to take advantage of the large 2.5 intake ports which is the reason I want to use the explorer TB /mazda intake. The inlet on the Mazda 2.5 intake is 63mm. I'll keep the fusion intake incase I do decide to do the turbo, won't need the intake to give me the low end torque anymore. The focus cable tb has that weird inlet for the iac and is pretty small. As a last resort I can modify my tb adapter to also accept the focus tb and remote mount my iac.

I have an SF3 tuner on my 01 ranger (running 97 explorer 5.0 pcm) and on the canned tune I was able to adjust idle speed. I've got a livewire on my 7.3 but never messed with anything other than my tow tune. My diablosport on my mustang allows me to adjust idle speed on the custom tune, something I don't think I can do with the sct. Good to know there's active tuning knowledge on here, it's the main thing I'm noob on with the focus.

#7 ·
btw, cams do make a big difference & since your there why not? You don't need to do anything to the bottom end as you would w/ a turbo upgrade....

#8 ·
So the main reason I'm trying to keep it stock for now as I have a 1000mi trip I plan on taking it on come April. I don't have enough confidence in the clutch making it daily driving it until then and doing the swap only makes sense since I have 90% of it. I don't know if I'll have enough time to get it all dialed in by then if I throw cams into the mix too. I was going to try to avoid tuning and tweaking until after the trip. Then again Tom probably has a tune for every setup I could come up with he's previously done.

I own my own small repair shop so I'm fully equipped to get it done, just got to find the time. I'll get some pics of everything I'm working with in the following days.

#10 ·
I'm good, I already have about 10 extra vehicles parked around the shop in various states of repair including an 02 svt focus I could move on to. Plus I really like my ST.

I'd just throw the clutch in it an roll on if I had doubts I could get it ready in time. But with multiple lifts and tools I have no excuse to not finish a motor/trans swap in 2 days.

#28 · (Edited)
I'd love to but right now I don't have the extra funds to do all that. As long as it runs as good as my 2.3 or a hair better I'll be happy for now. I can pop it back apart at anytime and throw cams in it relatively easily as I just did the whole engine build in 3 days of free time.

I'm getting married in about 90 days now so "car parts" are not important unless it's a necessity(Been together for 13 years) After I recoup from that and the honeymoon it's game on. I'd really like to see what this setup is capable of. Might even consider putting the turbo kit I have on it at that point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.