1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Ive searched here and found the bulb is a T4W after ordering a BA9 set from amazon.

Both of these sets DO NOT WORK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZIQP6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMMVUOO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What the hell guys? Am I missing something? I still have the last link, havnt sent them back yet.
It's a known issue with the Focus. LEDs are polarity sensitive, usually you just turn the bulb around, but that cant be done with ba9s (tw4 same thing). For some reason the map light polarity on the Focus is reversed from 98% of cars on the road.

I had some from Vleds from 4 years ago that worked, but I don't know if they make them like that anymore. I since changed over to a euro dome light that uses brighter 194 bulbs that can easily be turned around for polarity. http://www.ebay.com/itm/18162943270...l?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=181629432703&_rdc=1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I just learn the hard way that my vehicle was one of the 98% after throwing down probably $10.00+ on different brand BA9S bulbs.

I'm not a electrician but is there any simply way to Jerry-rig a solution? If not can anyone share/direct a picture of the euro dome light? I tried looking online and I keep getting these, which I understand are US dome lights.

Also my vehicle has the sunglasses and garage opener compartments.

Would a Euro dome even worked with that in place?

Just be a shame if I can't get it to work. Especially after being so happy with the results from the center dome and trunk lights. I'll live though.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can also reverse the poalrity going into the light housing. In the plug going to light you will have 12v and ground. You can cut the wires going in andp
Swith the polarity going in. A standard bulb would still work as its not polarized

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
Here's my Euro light, they'll work in any 00-07 Focus. I got mine for $20 shipped from the UK. It uses 194 bulbs in the maps, those you can flip if needed. One day I'm going to build my own LED bulb array so it will be color matched.

Some people tried switching the wiring, it makes the map lights work but the main light wont work with the doors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the information. I'll put one on my wish list as the alternative won't be an option for me as I want to keep the open door function with the main dome light. Especially now that I put a super bright LED bulb in it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Something wrong in reference to simply replacing the bulb?

If so, than I don't know what it possible could be. I've fit it in the slot and it has contact and everything. I've tried it with BA9S bulbs from two different companies in both map light slots and both didn't work. The 6411 replacement bulb for the middle dome works just fine if I have it flip around correctly.

I can take pictures if you like.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
I had some ba9s that worked, just I checked and the place doesn't make them like that anymore. (They had bridge rectifiers built in for dual polarity.) There used to be a pic in the customer review section of a guy that had them in his Focus map lights.

The ba9s suck for lighting anyway, I'd try an LED board like I posted if I had the US light installed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I grabbed cheap chinese leds, unbent the wires, pulled the plastic cover off, then soldered the respective wires where they go. Car now has red map lights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately I don't have access to soldering equipment. Has to be more of a plug and play type of solution for me.

That said the fact this didn't work out for me might have been for the best. The white LED dome light I put in my car it turns out to be almost blindingly bright, especially for night driving. While it doesn't look as nice, having those dimmer map lights has been more practical. Still wish they were more of a white light rather than yellow.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here's my Euro light, they'll work in any 00-07 Focus. I got mine for $20 shipped from the UK. It uses 194 bulbs in the maps, those you can flip if needed. One day I'm going to build my own LED bulb array so it will be color matched.

Some people tried switching the wiring, it makes the map lights work but the main light wont work with the doors.

do you happen to know what the "vents" are for on each side? think I might track one down and that spot looks like it might be good for a bluetooth mic.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
do you happen to know what the "vents" are for on each side? think I might track one down and that spot looks like it might be good for a bluetooth mic.
Lol, actually the mic is in there. Originally they're ultrasonic alarm sensors.

I got mixed results with the mic there, it worked alright standing still, but get going and the person on the other end cant hear. Then there were times when it worked fine on the highway. I wondered about getting a better mic, I don't think the ones that come with the unit are the best in the world.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lol, actually the mic is in there. Originally they're ultrasonic alarm sensors.

I got mixed results with the mic there, it worked alright standing still, but get going and the person on the other end cant hear. Then there were times when it worked fine on the highway. I wondered about getting a better mic, I don't think the ones that come with the unit are the best in the world.
curious george got the best of me so went searching and found that.

bonus points for thinking the same about BT mic and having results. [thumb]

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

did yours come with the intrusion sensor? and will this fit in the standard US bezel with no moonroof? just bought the euro dome with a pigtails, + intrusion sensor for 17$ shipped Ty for turning m,e on to this piece I have the Euro mirrors/ euro vanity's + Rear dome this will complete the set, now I just need to redo the headliner with black suede

·
Registered
202 Posts
did yours come with the intrusion sensor? and will this fit in the standard US bezel with no moonroof? just bought the euro dome with a pigtails, + intrusion sensor for 17$ shipped Ty for turning m,e on to this piece I have the Euro mirrors/ euro vanity's + Rear dome this will complete the set, now I just need to redo the headliner with black suede
I scored one too and also got the vanity's overnight. [headbang]

Also redoing the headliner in black. [8D]

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,213 Posts
It's plug and play for all U.S. 00-07. It came with the sensors and the "brain" too, in Europe they can splice two wires at the GEM and have a factory alarm. I looked at both Euro and US GEM pinouts and it's a no go from what I can figure. It looks very possible to use it with an aftermarket alarm though. Despite all that I like the rocker switch instead of the slider that the standard light has. Plus it has LED friendly map lights.

Rear dome was one of my first mods and I the vanity lights too. I must be the only person that likes the two tone interior. Back when I had a Mustang I rode in the very Focus I have now, after that I wanted to do the Mustangs headliner in black so bad. (lower half was gray)

·
Registered
9 Posts

Any idea on where to order one of these now? The eBay link is no longer any good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts