Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i got a minor in possesion of alcohol on may 20th, and had my court date this morning, and i walked out of there with:

1) NO license

2) $160 fine

3) Possible NJP from the military(dropped in rank, loss of pay)

4) very little faith in the San Diego Police Department..

..does anyone know about any appeals i can try and put through at all? hopefully i can still come tonight..i gotta get a ride though..maybe my buddy wont be drunk and can bring me...

[:(]

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
DAMN brother, freaking UCMJ gotta love it.

Semper Fi Marine

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Are you going to be there tonight starvin? the caravan?

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
That sucks!!! I'm sorry to hear that. I got a minor in possesion when I was 18 and all I got really was a slap on the wrist. Maybe cause you're in the military [confused]. I don't think you can get any appeals though.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I am glad to be free

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
starvinmarvin781 said:
4) very little faith in the San Diego Police Department..
only raises my faith in them. you were doing something illegal, they caught you, and threw the book at you. end of story. accept the consequences of your actions, learn from them, and move on. there's not much else you can do.

Mike

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
that is the cold hard truth though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree with you whiteboyslo..but suspending my license for a year?? i wasnt even drivnig, and they took it away for a year..i just think thats kinda bullshit...

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
well, you play, you pay. there's certain things SDPD aren't playing around with anymore, and underrage drinking is one of them. street racing is another.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Um... Street racing and underage drinking are two entirely different subjects. If you are underage, and 14 miles from your car, then they are just trying to make an example of you when they take your license. If you are driving recklessly against another car, and endangering lives, and they take your license, THEN they are doing the right thing. But then again, this is California. Everything with the legal system here is [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the_poet677 said:
Um... Street racing and underage drinking are two entirely different subjects. If you are underage, and 14 miles from your car, then they are just trying to make an example of you when they take your license. If you are driving recklessly against another car, and endangering lives, and they take your license, THEN they are doing the right thing. But then again, this is California. Everything with the legal system here is [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up.
Yeah, I gotta agree with that one. I mean what does him drinking have to do with his license?? Well, depending on the circumstances, like if your were leaning on your car when they caught you, understandable, but if you are in a remote location, what reason can they give for taking one's DL away?? Making an example is all I can think of there...

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
That's all it is really, is making an example. When I got caught with minor in possesion all they did was give me a fine. No licence suspended. NOW when I was 16 and got caught with weed, I got my licence suspended for a year!!!

More than likely it depends on what judge you get and what kind of mood he/she is in. If they see that you're a Marine, I would bet dollar to donuts that they will make an example out of you. There is no real set limit on what the court can throw at you.

IMHO, if you can send a 18 year old to war, you should let him/her drink [;)].

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
the_poet677 said:

different subjects, but one common theme: young people doing something stupid. take away the license (the quintessential piece of freedom for anyone, young or old alike), and they'll think twice.

of course, you could always get jail time instead. take your pick.

Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
I might actually choose jail over loss of license, if the sentence is like a month or something, so long as I can drive my car off the prison lot upon release.

As weird as it may sound...

Lamar

·
Registered
27 Posts
whiteboyslo said:
different subjects, but one common theme: young people doing something stupid. take away the license (the quintessential piece of freedom for anyone, young or old alike), and they'll think twice.

of course, you could always get jail time instead. take your pick.

Mike
Oh come on. Get real. "Young people doing something stupid." How old are you? Do you honestly think that drinking at 19 is stupid? Especially if you are drinking responsibly? You realize that this guy is a service member? How [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up is it that this country sends soldiers and sailors away to fight and die, but won't let them drink a damn beer? I personally have watched and mentored soldiers, and let me tell you, when I had a 19 year old PFC ride 14 months with me in Iraq, you better friggen believe that I bought that damn kid a drink. So how about you think twice. Think about the potential dangers of a damn beer on a beach, and then compare it to the dangers that these kids actually have to face, and then, when you are done comparing the two, decide if you really think that it is a stupid idea.
And for the record, there is a bill in congress to drop the drinking age for service members, or at least there was when I was in Iraq.
Oh, hey, and how about community service instead of jail or license revokation? You know, something that actually help the world, instead of just building resentment.
*you can have your soapbox back now*

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks nabil..im seriously done with all the bullshit though..im gonna sell the car..so bye bye focus..i know i screwed up..but seriously..i kind of agree of some loss of freedom for drinking underage..but for someone that is 20..and serves their country..its dumb. especially because as i know that blkzx3 and poet know..in the military we work for our free time..try working monday through friday with 12-14 hour shifts..and mike honestly dude..i disagree with you..i wasnt driving..i was 15 miles from my car..and i had a beer in my hand i had JUST opened..i was about as responsible as i could be..

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
let's all just support Mitch on this man he just bought his car and he is getting screwed I got your back brother.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts