Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
things are heating up here in FL ... when you get red focus that are starting to park next to each other. BUT the se sedan has a flat finish black grill vs the SEL with a glossy finish black grill?

Do you guys think they are using two different finishes on grill? and then you need to be sure which one they order when needed?

I think the SE was a rental.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yes they are. I have an SE with the Sport option and listed as one of the items on the Sport options list is "Piano black grill". So that is what the shiny one is. Mine is like that.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Pennilut is right. The piano black comes on the se with sport package.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mines an SE with 203a and it's flat black. Agreed, there is definitely a different finish in play here. Personally, I like my flat black just fine. You may find someone to swap parts with though. That is if you're looking to change yours up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sport package gets Piano Black. I hate the flat black, glad i got a sport

·
Registered
138 Posts
flat black = less repainting after a few winters here :p

·
Registered
163 Posts
The Piano Black on my Oxford White Se Sport Hatch really makes the car pop.

I don't think the flack black would have quite the effect.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My SEL w/o the sport suspension is also equipped w/ the piano black. Seems then most models not at base would have it. Curious to me they would have the two differing finishes.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
I far prefer the piano black, I'm very happy that it was part of the Sport pack.

The upper grill, where the Ford emblem sits, also has plain black and Piano black variations, though it's less obvious due to the size.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My SEL w/o the sport suspension is also equipped w/ the piano black. Seems then most models not at base would have it. Curious to me they would have the two differing finishes.
I believe the Piano Black is painted, and thus more expensive, but is perceived to look nicer by most people.

·
Registered
788 Posts
...Curious to me they would have the two differing finishes.
Because it differentiates models and trim levels, like the chrome belt line or the center console interior trim.

I believe the Piano Black is painted, and thus more expensive, but is perceived to look nicer by most people.
It's not painted, it's a different type of plastic, the glossy surface is throughout.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Because it differentiates models and trim levels, like the chrome belt line or the center console interior trim.
How very distinctive of the designer to use two subtle finishes of black plastic, I am sure it was this feature that subconciously I was swayed to the model I selected.

Damn that I thought the time I spent deciding I needed the hatch with the winter pkg, mft, 10 speakers, moon roof and a couple other items was the inpetus to move to a Ford.

Clever bastards!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Its a shame the parts to replace my flat (dull) black grill cost so much. Guess I'll have to paint it myself. Any idea as to what sort of paint to use? Primers? Protective finishes? Its well over $200 for the grill pieces, but I doubt painting them will cost me more than $30.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Its a shame the parts to replace my flat (dull) black grill cost so much. Guess I'll have to paint it myself. Any idea as to what sort of paint to use? Primers? Protective finishes? Its well over $200 for the grill pieces, but I doubt painting them will cost me more than $30.
Just spray it with a clearcoat. Gives you the glossy finish and protects all at once.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I saw the glossy grille on another Focus not too long ago, and I thought that my eyes were fooling me. I guess they weren't!

I really do like the glossy grille, but I wonder if it would just show nicks easier from rocks flying up from the road. I have a couple of tiny little "blemishes" on the bumper from other cars kicking up rocks :/ Time to invest into some Ignot Silver touchup paint..

·
Registered
27 Posts
In the US, "piano" black is standard on the SEL and Titanium trims, and included in the optional Sport Package on the SE trim.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's not painted, it's a different type of plastic, the glossy surface is throughout.
How sure are you about that? Not being argumentative. It's just that I assumed it was painted and have been waxing it. Some plastics do not appreciate some types of wax and it will harm them in the long run ..which is why I am looking for a definitive answer. What have the rest of you folks been doing with the gloss finish?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts