Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was showing a coworker of mine my new car after work, he really likes the focus and is considering getting his wife one.

Anyways, he got his fingerprints on the glossy black panels that are between the front and rear windows, and then proceeded to try and remove his finger prints with his work shirt, which only served to scratch and scuff the finish.[:(!]

I keep a microfiber cloth in the trunk for a reason. But that aside, are those panels Glass or Painted Black Metal, I can't really tell. The scuffs are very minor, I just know they are there and they are the first marks the car has gotten. I am not sure he even realizes that he did it, and would likely feel bad knowing he did it. Anyways, that is a separate issue entirely.

Is there an easy way to make them go away?

Also, as I do live in the north east and winter is coming, most scratches are inevitable with road salt & sand, as well as shrinking parking spaces, and jerks in parking lots. So I figure if I want to keep he looking nice in the spring I ought to get her detailed, and I was wondering how much something like that costs?

Also, should I invest in going to such a place and getting a good wash and wax before winter hits full swing?

Yeah, yeah in theory I could do it myself, but between working 6 days a week, hour commute each way, and night classes, and the fact I suck at waxing a car, we can accept that won't be happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this, but as taxing as it is on my skinny kid arms, not much if more fun than waxing my car. Making your pride and joy look even awesomer is a great feeling.

Never paid for it tho so I'm not much help here haha

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know you don't want to hear this, but as taxing as it is on my skinny kid arms, not much if more fun than waxing my car. Making your pride and joy look even awesomer is a great feeling.

Never paid for it tho so I'm not much help here haha
So just a simply self wash and wax will take car of minor scuffs?

Ok, I'm willing to give it a try, just because of how much I love the car. But with my schedule and weather being what it is, I can't see that happening in the immediate future.

I think my biggest problem is using too much wax, I never seem to be able to get it all off and it ends up streaky.

With that said, are those glossy panels metal, glass, or plastic?

Edit: just found the car washing & detailing section of the board, off reading there now.

Still wondering what that portion of the car is, glossy black section between the front and rear side windows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
your talking about the door sash. Get an orbital buffer and buff them out with regular wax. If not, get one of the scratch repair kits to keep handy and use the polish that comes with that that has a mild abrasive, followed by normal wax. That will remove it 100%. Mine came wrapped in saran wrap or something I think because when I bought it, it had tons of little scratches on the sash and they buffed right out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts