Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2014 Focus SE in for purge canister check valve and had them test my DPS6 since mines now covered in the customer satisfaction program. What do you know my Focus is getting new clutch packs at 61,000 miles via warranty. I love everything about this car except the tranny performance. Now the decision is 1. get rid of it with low miles and new clutches? or 2. keep it and hope it stays good past 100,000 miles which will come about in about 2 years of my commute.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Now the decision is

1. get rid of it with low miles and new clutches? or

2. keep it and hope it stays good past 100,000 miles which will come about in about 2 years of my commute.
Lift up the radiator cap and drive a new car under it and then screw the cap back on. Seriously, I would unload it. I had a 2012 with the DPS6 that was plagued with tranny shudder. Got rid of it and bought a 2013 Focus SE Hatch with a 5 speed manual and it was a pure pleasure to drive.

What is so sad is you have to wonder what would have happened if Ford had sold the Focus with a conventional planetary automatic? It is such a great little car in every other respect.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What is so sad is you have to wonder what would have happened if Ford had sold the Focus with a conventional planetary automatic? It is such a great little car in every other respect.
I wonder that very thing all the time and still do not understand why they did not make that adjustment as soon as they realized the scope of the problem, which we now know was fairly early on.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'd sell it private party while it's running okay. Get something that doesn't have the Ford DCT.

That’s my plan. I already scheduled an appt. for early October to have the trans & clutch serviced/repaired & I want to see how it drives & if the shuddering stops for the short term. If it does then it’s the best time to place an ad & get rid of it, since whatever they do doesn’t fix anything however if I remember correctly after my last clutch repair, it did drive better in the short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Seriously, I would unload it. I had a 2012 with the DPS6 that was plagued with tranny shudder.
I'd sell it private party while it's running okay. Get something that doesn't have the Ford DCT.
Yeah,sell it. It's just a band-aid and problems will show up again.
Actually, I'm going to disagree here...though with the caveat that I'm assuming you bought new. Yep, the DPS6 is a piece of sh!t and this won't be the last clutch pack you need before it hits 100k.

But if you bought new, you're already taking a bath and you're getting new clutches, so why not just keep driving it? Unless you find a sucker - which, based on the "should I buy this Focus" posts over on reddit, there are quite a few of them - resale value's in the toilet. It's worth more as a DD, IMO, and it's possible (albeit unlikely) that the result of the NHTSA investigation and/or a class action in the next couple of years will give you a better outcome than simply unloading it on some poor soul who didn't do their homework.

Your post makes it sound like this is your first clutch pack replacement at 61k miles. Compare that to mine, where I had 3 replacements by 58k miles. That means that the stock software actually works halfway well with your particular transmission. You might be able to get right up to 100k before needing another replacement. Seems to me that resale is already so bad that going another 40k miles / 2 years isn't going to reduce its value by a whole lot. If you enjoy driving it...just drive it.

Yep. I genuinely enjoy driving it! I've done all the small mods - snorkel delete, AEM Dryflow filter, enabling Sport mode via FORscan, eRMM replacement - and together they've made it even more of a pleasure. It's only when the clutch plates wear out that it sucks.

I wonder that very thing all the time and still do not understand why they did not make that adjustment as soon as they realized the scope of the problem, which we now know was fairly early on.
Oh, I can tell you why: money. It always comes down to money. Remember, the DPS6 was available in Fiestas and Focuses, and not just in North America, but all over the world. Ford really went big with the DPS6, and it laid a giant fart. Between sunk costs of R&D and surplus parts, Ford knew it couldn't just up and quit the DPS6 without losing a ton of money.

So they consolidated: with the 2015 refresh, they stopped offering the DPS6 everywhere but NA. I can guarantee that they scaled down production and started using their stockpile of transmissions. They gambled (well, are still gambling) because they know the US is the most corporation-friendly of their markets and since they had already decided (though not yet publicly announced) their decision to stop selling cars in the NA market, they figured they might as well dump their garbage here.

From their perspective, what's the worst that happens? You won't buy a Ford car? Who cares! They won't have any! So they were going to lose your business, anyway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh, I can tell you why: money. It always comes down to money. Remember, the DPS6 was available in Fiestas and Focuses, and not just in North America, but all over the world. Ford really went big with the DPS6, and it laid a giant fart. Between sunk costs of R&D and surplus parts, Ford knew it couldn't just up and quit the DPS6 without losing a ton of money.

So they consolidated: with the 2015 refresh, they stopped offering the DPS6 everywhere but NA. I can guarantee that they scaled down production and started using their stockpile of transmissions. They gambled (well, are still gambling) because they know the US is the most corporation-friendly of their markets and since they had already decided (though not yet publicly announced) their decision to stop selling cars in the NA market, they figured they might as well dump their garbage here.

From their perspective, what's the worst that happens? You won't buy a Ford car? Who cares! They won't have any! So they were going to lose your business, anyway.
Even in my part of the world (HK) Ford stopped selling the Focus besides the RS since 2016. The smallest Ford available is the Kuga (Escape). Ford literally banked on small cars being dead in three years after the refresh year of 2015. So supporting these DCT cars until 100,000 miles would be enough given how most people would have their cars traded in way before that mark or in three years. rczrider is right in that stopping small car production in 2018 is well planned ahead for Ford. Besides, in North America small cars always get the shaft end of the stick anyways compared to the army of crossovers and pickup trucks.

So all you DCT owners could dream of finally getting a lawyer to represent your case, only to have Ford shut you down completely given their armada of lawyers and how your Fiestas/Focuses are irrelevant by now due to their age and market value.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Id sell it personally, they depreciate a crap ton. so you may as well try to sell it now. If you like driving stick, the 5 Speed Foci are very dependable!

·
Registered
350 Posts
they depreciate a crap ton. so you may as well try to sell it now
The OP's is a 5-year old 2014 SE. It's already depreciated a crap-ton. What's the value on it now? $4k? $5k? Assuming they get the same life out of the second clutch pack that they did out of the first (60k miles), how much more will it depreciate in 2 years? Certainly less than the they'll save just driving it.

There's no longer a bullet to dodge. The value's already in the toilet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just to interject as I'm kind of going through things with my 13 SE. It was actually rear ended by a Silverado a couple of weeks ago. Insurance is currently deciding whether or not to fix it. Should know by Monday.

Either way, my car had new clutch packs at about 16K. So far haven't needed them again. They did TCM at 97K under warranty if I remember right. Car has almost 104K now but is a bit smashed up in the rear and is at the body shop. I actually drove it there, still running great and not pulling to a side or anything. My car has mostly highway miles on it. Sort of hoping they fix it.

But as to the value, I think the other person's insurance is valuing it at $6200. Mine is I think just below that. So for a 13, 6K for 104K miles seems to be about the rate. This is an SE sedan, race red color with the dual clutch tranny(auto). So 14 maybe 6300-6500? Just interjecting since I'm kind of familiar on this topic at the moment.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Id sell it personally, they depreciate a crap ton. so you may as well try to sell it now. If you like driving stick, the 5 Speed Foci are very dependable!

Most cars loose most of their value within 10yrs. Studies have shown that buyers typically loose 10% on a new vehicle the minute they drive it off the lot.

Low mileage, one-owner & clean carfax Focus still have some decent value. I’d bet a large percentage of buyers looking for a small & sporty commuter are clueless about the DCT & what it even means.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Most cars loose most of their value within 10yrs. Studies have shown that buyers typically loose 10% on a new vehicle the minute they drive it off the lot.
Other than Honda/Toyota and maybe a few others, most cars drop like rocks in the first few years...and the MK3 is even worse. I got mine at two years old for less than half of the sticker (was in the glove box).

After lurking at this site for a while, if I had a working DCT Focus out of warranty, I'd dump it yesterday.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Other than Honda/Toyota and maybe a few others, most cars drop like rocks in the first few years...and the MK3 is even worse. I got mine at two years old for less than half of the sticker (was in the glove box).

After lurking at this site for a while, if I had a working DCT Focus out of warranty, I'd dump it yesterday.

Here’s my issue with dumping my DCT. It costs allot of money, out-of-pocket, to get into something else. Will the DCT leave me stranded? Maybe or maybe not. Will the shuddering stop, no it won’t, however it still is a decent DD & it’s paid for.

Getting into anything else, whether it’s an ST, Escape, Camry etc. is going to cost a minimum of 7-10k cash + my car. Is it worth it? I’ve got one free clutch-trans repair left, so I’ll take advantage of that I suppose & just keep driving the car. Worst case scenario is I’m out 2k with another clutch in a few years.

I know I’ve said before I’d like to sell it, but that would be 10-12k less cash, in the bank, when I retire.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Your case is different. If I had a DCT that was already acting up, with no warranty, I'd drive it into the ground. I'd then decide whether the out-of-pocket repair was worth it or not.

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing, however my biggest issue is I spend way too much time looking at car ads online & get excited when I see something I like. But I’m pretty good with thinking it through & not going out & spending a ton of cash for something else. There are a lot of guys on here that have 100-200k miles on their DCTs & they’re still going okay. I’m only at 41k miles, on my ‘13, so I should have a lot of life left in mine.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
If the car is working fine and you still like driving it, i would keep on driving it. If the clutch comes back and annoys you, then get rid of it. Assuming you are in decent financial shape and all that jazz...if money is tight and the car is ok, keep it for another 60k and another 5+yrs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Before I was rear ended, my DCT had almost 104K on 1 clutch pack replacement around 16K(I'm the second owner), and a TCM changed at around 97K.

My car is still in the shop. Waiting for final call if they are going to fix or total it out.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If it gets fixed the value is still gonna be in the toilet if you “trade” at a dealer. Sell it privately? Only if you plan on going into the witness protection program….

If you drove it 61,000 miles with th
e problematic clutch, you’ve already displayed a higher degree of tolerance that many of us.

I would drive it till the wheels literally fall off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far so good

Update on new clutch in 2014 Focus SE. I got the warranty replacement done today and 60 miles later I am very happy. It got the F1FZ-7B546-B clutch which is said to be pretty good. What I found to be a nice surprise is the new programming. The car no longer hunts to be in the right gear. When I turn a corner it no longer tries to be in too low of a gear and rev at 3500RPM. No shudder and all shifts seem firm. I bought the car with 33,000 miles last year and I commute 30k a year. I bought it for $16,000 off its original sticker. Its an SE with leather, heated seats, 17" wheels and rear disc. Its a great car to drive but I think I'm going to try and sell it. Been on the lookout for a new generation Escape (we had a 2013, now own a 2017, and just bought our daughter a 2013). I can drive my 2001 Escape with 266,000 miles if I sell this and haven't found an Escape I like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts