Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a set of 4, Tire Country in Pageland SC quoted me $350, total price out the door (mounted, balanced, tax, etc).

I like the price. Any opinions on quality?

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Their employee reviews complain about bad management. That's a red flag. How can unhappy employees produce a quality product? I'm having second thoughts now.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The company is based in Singapore and makes tires worldwide.
I read they invested over $500 million in a South Carolina plant.

Unhappy employees isn't that 99% of companies in America.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looking back at my career, I only recall a few good managers. Most were inept, like the pointy-haired Dilbert boss.

I try to avoid products from companies with a bad management reputation. That's why I declined an Airtex fuel pump when the shop offered to install one. Before they moved to Mexico, Airtex management had a bad reputation. And many users posted bad reports about their product quality.

That's why I asked. To see if anyone had experience with these tires. At $350, I may still buy them. Or Chinese Westlake tires at $320. Scotty Kilmer once said never buy Chinese tires, but some Chinese products are worth the price. It's a mixed bag. You never know.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If I had a choice between the two I would go with the ones that are $350 yeah they're not an American company but they've invested a lot in American manufacturing and I buy American when I can.
The other company well I think about the tires that come on a utility trailer, and I avoid china whenever possible.

Airtex is garbage and has been for a long time.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
I recently got $80 215/45/17 General Tire Exclaim HPX A/S from Walmart. So far they seem similar enough to the Michelin Premier A/S they replaced. I decided on cheaper tires this time, but didn't want the cheapest, so I steered away from the Milestars, Douglas, & numerous $50-60 chinese tires. USA-made if that matters. They also have kind of a rim guard construction, which is nice although my rims are way beyond the ability to benefit. I think for a middle of the road kind of all-season tire they're a decent find.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tire Country also quoted me a set of General Tire Altimax. $474.

American made I suppose, but even that does not guarantee quality. I remember what happened with Firestone decades ago.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire Country said my tire size is not a popular one. I wonder if that makes the price higher. So then I thought of increasing the aspect ratio to 55, but one person said increasing the tire diameter could confuse the ABS. Uh-oh.

What do you think?

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could live with a speedometer decrease. But I don't to mess up the ABS. That would be bad. I just wonder if it's true.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I calculated right, increasing aspect ratio from 50 to 55 increases tire circumference by about 3.5 percent. My wild guess is, the ABS could tolerate that. But who knows. Anyone tried it?

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought the /50 today. Dealer said that size is recommended for my car. He said /55 probably OK if nothing scrapes. I don't want to test that on big dips in the road around here. And the /55 was a little higher in price, so I stayed with the /50.

Feels good on a 20 mile test drive. Quiet compared to my old worn out tires. Final price matched the quote within a few cents. $350.37 mounted, balanced, new valve stems, tire disposal fee, tax, out the door. Tire country in Pageland SC if you're nearby. Busy days are Mon and Fri. Other days not as bad.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I usually check with Tirerack and Consumer Reports and go with their ratings. Note that Consumer Reports actually run the tires around Texas till worn to check for mileage...where Tirerack goes with the manufacturers rating.

Last set I bought was rated 60K by the maker...ConsReports tested the same tire at 30K. My basic requirements are good dry/wet/snow traction...mileage is a consideration for sure...I usually end up with a tire that has good road handling and also works in the snow...

·
Registered
1 Posts
For a set of 4, Tire Country in Pageland SC quoted me $350, total price out the door (mounted, balanced, tax, etc).

I like the price. Any opinions on quality?
I bought the kid a 2012 Focus Titanium, it has the 18" wheels with the wide tires, great for summer but it's winter here and we get SNOW, so I got a set of wheels with tires from a 2007? Taurus. Oh they fit ok and the traction is OK, but I need to get TPMS sensors and as I look around some have the 433 mhz ones and others are the 315 mhz. I look at the compatibility charts and they both say they are compatible. So is the 2012 Focus Titanium with the 18" wheels different. We have 2 2015 escapes and they are 315. Help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts