Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TDCi2.0 2006. when I switch off key and remove it the engine keeps running. the radio goes off but the other normal ign lights remain on eg oil, park brake, and battery lights. I stalled it to stop the engine but the ign was still on. when I get it started it runs fine without any problems. but when I want to stop the engine I found that after switching off the key, when I depress the brake peddle the engine dies and after releasing the brake peddle the ign lights come on again.
I have disconnected the battery for 2 hours+ and when connecting it again the wipers move, the dash lights all glow some flash
it is with a ford electrician as I type (he's scratching the head too)

But when it runs, it runs well!!!

any advice would help.[bigcry]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The PCM Diode has failed.
It's in the underhood fuse box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so here's the latest. if I remove the power steering fuse then the car "behaves" but the steering plays up when driving. if I replace the fuse when engine runs all goes well.
the cigar lighter has permanent power, is that correct???[scratch]

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
the cigar lighter has permanent power, is that correct???[scratch]
Yes, cig lighter always has power.

Your other car problems are strange. The ign switch is more than a switch, it is a set of 4 independent switches; and each one does more than just on -or- off.

You may have one or several electrical problems, but if I were you, I would replace (or test the hell out of) the ignition switch. Also, consider testing the wiring (I/O signals) of the Power Hold Relay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update! after cleaning earth points the car behaved .......... until now. i fitted a toggle switch to the fuse to be able get around.
i have a new issue with the ESP and ABS. i suspect the speed sensor to be dirty/faulty. the diode of previous chats is nowhere to be found. i have even asked local mechanics and electricians but all had the same excuses....... ummm aaaahh dunno.

will update soon .... of to the garage

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
... i fitted a toggle switch to the fuse to be able get around...
It would help me and others here if you better describe the switch & the circuit that you modified in order to "get around". Also, please explain exact symptoms that your car is experiencing now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i replace the battery and all the problems solved. dead cell in the battery caused some feedback to the system. but at least i have good earthing now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is more out of curiosity. How old was the battery and did you have the alternator checked? I had a Chevy Chevette that had a ground wire to the alternator rub through going under the air cleaner. I didn't want to just start yanking on wires so it took a while to find it. By the time I did it had ruined the battery and the alternator. I know they are vastly different cars but I thought I'd mention it. If the bad battery played havoc with the electrical system it could have put a higher than normal load on the alternator too and you could have it die on you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts