Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a weird one. The GF bought a 2015 Escape about 2 weeks ago, and I just noticed that when I lock or unlock my car with my fob, the turn signals on the Escape briefly flash, and the license plate lights go on very dim. The license plate lights then go off about 10 seconds later. The turn signals don't light up to 100% when this happens, I say they only light up to about 50% for a split second. If I press lock or unlock on my fob during the period that the license plate lights are briefly illuminated still on the Escape, the turn signals don't flash. I have to wait until the license plate lights go out, and then I can press a button on my fob and it does it all over again. I tried both my fobs and it does it with both. Her fobs do not do the same thing to my car. So I'm not sure if it's something my fobs are doing, or if it's some signal from my car. My car is parked right next to hers.

Anyone every see something like this?

EDIT: Here is a quick video. Sorry it's dark. But this is me pressing the trunk release button 1-time on the keyfob for my 2013 Focus.

http://vid1175.photobucket.com/albums/r628/silverpony2001/VID_20141128_225621100_zpsffpuu1g2.mp4

EDIT #2: Played with it more tonight and noticed that it isn't the turn signals that are flashing, it's the fog lights. Weird.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
IDK about the license plate light going on, but hitting the fob for lock or unlock & the signal lights flashing, yea.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Oh, that means the fobs use the same frequency. Hitup the dealer then.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, that means the fobs use the same frequency. Hitup the dealer then.
But it doesn't unlock or lock her car, just makes the lights barely light up for a split second regardless if I press lock/unlock or trunk. And her fob doesn't do anything to my car.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
But it doesn't unlock or lock her car, just makes the lights barely light up for a split second regardless if I press lock/unlock or trunk. And her fob doesn't do anything to my car.
Wow, never heard of that. Could be the frequency is close for the lights but not for the locks. IDK just a thought.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Here is a weird one. The GF bought a 2015 Escape about 2 weeks ago, and I just noticed that when I lock or unlock my car with my fob, the turn signals on the Escape briefly flash, and the license plate lights go on very dim. The license plate lights then go off about 10 seconds later. The turn signals don't light up to 100% when this happens, I say they only light up to about 50% for a split second. If I press lock or unlock on my fob during the period that the license plate lights are briefly illuminated still on the Escape, the turn signals don't flash. I have to wait until the license plate lights go out, and then I can press a button on my fob and it does it all over again. I tried both my fobs and it does it with both. Her fobs do not do the same thing to my car. So I'm not sure if it's something my fobs are doing, or if it's some signal from my car. My car is parked right next to hers.

I would surmise that the Escape has a software (firmware) issue.
AFAIK, the Escape should not respond in any way to anything but its own code.

It may be worth a try to visit the dealer who will (hopefully) get in touch with the right people at Ford.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow...
We have 3 fords in my driveway, Focus 2012, Fusion 2010 and an escape 2013. Never happened to me, and never heard of this!
You should check this with you dealer (if possible bring both car... show them? haha)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Need to have the dealer investigate it especially since the Escape is under warranty. Back a few years ago we had a woman come in to service and said when she hit the panic button on her remote every car in the parking lot would honk their horn. We at first thought she was nuts until the service writer hit the panic button and every car on the lot had their horns honking. We ended up giving her 2 new remotes and reprogram under warranty. We were going to keep the remotes for pranks on the lot, but as soon as the claim hit Ford, they called for the remotes back. LOL

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

EDIT: Here is a quick video. Sorry it's dark. But this is me pressing the trunk release button 1-time on the keyfob for my 2013 Focus.

http://vid1175.photobucket.com/albums/r628/silverpony2001/VID_20141128_225621100_zpsffpuu1g2.mp4

EDIT #2: Played with it more tonight and noticed that it isn't the turn signals that are flashing, it's the fog lights. Weird.
Hi SilverPony2001,

Thanks for posting about this, really interesting!

Are you planning on heading in to your dealer to have this looked at? If so, please send me the following information: the Escape's VIN and mileage, the Focus's VIN (just in case I need it), your best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

I'll do a little digging.

Meagan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts