Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the Alt out is a bad fuc%$$#ing Joke that ford played on me,,,

wow only took me 2 1/2 hours to het my alt out,, i had to take the motor mount off, pull engine forward and drop out the bottom between rack and exhaust,,
im 46 and i have never been so fuc*(&^%^ed around by a car on a simple job

2003 focus zx3

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
jesus...even with taking my whole supercharger off, it took me and my friend about 45 min to remove and replace mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We just had our alternator replaced. What Sears told us was a 1.5-2 hour job...turned out to be 4 hours.

Our car is a 2003 ZTS

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I'm dreading the day mine has to be replaced. Everytime I open the hood and look at it I say 'Holy s$#@ that's gonna be fun'[:(]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SVT_BMXer said:
jesus...even with taking my whole supercharger off, it took me and my friend about 45 min to remove and replace mine.

really...... did you take it out through the top ,,, ou out the bottom...???

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
ZX3_Chick said:
I'm dreading the day mine has to be replaced. Everytime I open the hood and look at it I say 'Holy s$#@ that's gonna be fun'[:(]

I"ll be out of town that weekend ^^^^[:D]

·
Registered
218 Posts
They come out the top, no sweat, just move the purge solenoid and the PS tank. I think I moved the bracket out of the way, too. I've done a few of them and they look 10 times harder than they are.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
turbo joe said:
They come out the top, no sweat, just move the purge solenoid and the PS tank. I think I moved the bracket out of the way, too. I've done a few of them and they look 10 times harder than they are.
yeah i moved mine out of the way when i installed the 2000 IM, I think the whole install took that amount of time, the alt was nothing really....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turbo joe said:
I moved the PS tank,,, But
sorry for the novice question,, but im putting the new one in tonight... what is the "purge solenoid,, is it that silver diaphram looking thingabout 1 inch in diamater with a vac hose to it mounted to the engine hook on bracket...??

·
What bump stop?
1,947 Posts
the evap purge canister. It a black cylinder looking thing on the firewall, has a vac. line going to the intake mani and 2 hard lines connecting to it.

I've had to replace a "few"[:D] in my time on the foci and it's really not that hard. I've never had to pull the mount either, though one time I was thinking about it just to make it easier.

As long as you remove everything in the pass. side corner, evap purge, ps res, coolant overflow, disconnect the engine ground and harness, it wil come right out.

Also a tip for anyone that hasn't done it yet, when wiggling the alt out of the hole you just made, make sure the pully is facing up, it come out the easiest that way. Same for putting it back in, pully up and gravity pretty much takes over[thumb]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks much,,
Ill use your method tonight,,,,,!!!
Anything but getting under the car and passing it up [ to no one ] as im doing the job alone,,,,,

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts