Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I took my car in for the fourth time this past monday because of random misfire codes causing a steady check engine light, and the occasional flashing check engine on the highway. Fourth time right? Ford is requiring that I replace the complete original airbox going all the way back to the wheel well before they can continue further warranty coverage. (2005 Duratec Zx4, Steeda CAI, pulleys, and TruBendz cat-back) I replaced all of the parts to the airbox that I had but apparently the air filter is way back underneath in the original system and I did not have that part anymore. The dealer service place is requiring me to pay $411.00 before tax to get the rest of the original air system parts and time included. I think this is bullshit. If someone out there has any clues how I can go about getting this fixed without paying $420 please let me know. I have seen the warranty coverage website about aftermarket modifications on new vehicles, and so far the plan is to go to the dealer tomorrow with that and see what happens. I SERIOUSLY doubt that it's an airflow problem that would be causing random misfires, yet they will not proceed unless I replace the stock airbox. Someone PLEASE let me know your ideas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition...

I also requested that they check the coils, which they said were fine, and to check for a leak before the cat, which they said there was none. I've been through a lot of shit before. They had me replace my spark plugs because somehow there were plugs that said "Made in japan" on them, not the stock motorcraft ones. I have never touched my plugs and bought the car new but somehow these plugs got in there.
Any way i'm kind of ranting at this point because I'm PISSED, but please reply and let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
you discarded the stock airbox?
Sometimes, you might need that to pass smog.

anyways, I thought those plugs the normal ones that come with the car?
I am about to change mine to some autolites 104, so I'll let you know what my stock plugs say.

It sounds like either an internal problem, or a tuning problem...
Ask whether the car has the latest reflash available.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to someone higher up in Ford today, and he told me something they previously had not. Apparently there was some sort of MAF code that was read when I brought it in. Is it possible that the MAF just got messed up? I'm wondering if I could replace it and solve the problem. Due to that code and the fact that the intake is not stock (even though the MAF is stock) that's why they're denying my warranty coverage.

Anyone? Replace MAF?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd be happy to help you out with your situation. If you can get the VIN of your vehicle and if possible a Detailed description of your problem and to top it off the CODE that you recieve that the dealer has or maybe you do too.

I can get you all the information on your vehicle and help you through this. Believe me i work on your cars all day long at the dealership and the way they sound is complete rubish. Let me know.

Its late here so im off to bed but post it for next time and ill get back to you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Heres what I know about your situation. It is possible, but I doubt it in your
situation. It is possible to get misfires from your intake. If you have a leak
somewhere between your MAF sensor and engine that is allowing extra air
to enter without the MAF seeing it will cause a misfire. If it doesn't read the extra air you will be lean and misfire. But it is unlikly in your situation.
Second, and most likely. Aftermarket air filters have oil on the cotton which
ends up on the MAF sensor and ruins them. So since you have an aftermarket
filter on your focus, they dealership by right can refuse to warranty your MAF
sensor. Warranty is only for parts that are defective. Anything you do to your vehicle that causes a component to fail is not covered.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am aware of how the warranty laws work, and that is the reason I've been pursuing having them fix it for so long. Up until yesterday I had no idea that there was some sort of MAF code. So even though I don't believe that this is the cause of my problem, they are in their rights to refuse to proceed for now.

Thanks for the offer DJ I'll see if i can't get a complete list of codes pulled off of it. I already can repeat the problem like butter, with the exact same results each time, and I'll post the VIN once I get the codes pulled. Just out of curiosity, why do you need the VIN?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I highly doubt that its your airbox causing the misfires... As far as the MAF, i have seen it often that an oiled filer (such as a K&N) can cause major problems with the MAF, which in turn can set a check engine code and misfires... Out of the box K&N puts just enough oil on their filters to clean the air, but when poeple wash and reoil them they tend to put too much oil. I know because i had a Golf that had the same problems, and it a HUGE issue with any Nissan

·
Registered
220 Posts
el_jmurray said:
I am aware of how the warranty laws work, and that is the reason I've been pursuing having them fix it for so long. Up until yesterday I had no idea that there was some sort of MAF code. So even though I don't believe that this is the cause of my problem, they are in their rights to refuse to proceed for now.

Thanks for the offer DJ I'll see if i can't get a complete list of codes pulled off of it. I already can repeat the problem like butter, with the exact same results each time, and I'll post the VIN once I get the codes pulled. Just out of curiosity, why do you need the VIN?
Well i work for the dealership of FORD ofcourse and if you get me your vin thats where i can look up everything for your exact vehicle and the common problems they go thru. it sounds sketchy askin for a VIN i know but its the best way to get help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, where in the diagnostic mode does it show the error codes, or where can i go to get them pulled. I'd like to get the VIN symptoms and codes to you because i'm really lost on what to do here. I also am thinking of putting a resistor in the MAF sensor to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"where can i go to get them pulled"

You need an OBD-II Code Reader. Some of the auto parts places will read them for free, e.g., Autozone. Call around.

P.S. I hesitate to say this, but someone probably will. It is possible to get some codes using the diagnostic mode of the instrument panel odometer display, but this is a waste of time, as the codes obtained this way are so unreliable, you need to use a real code reader before acting on them in any case. The diagnosis mode of the odometer display was never designed to be used this way, and was only put there for testing the cluster during the manufacturing process (which is why it is an "undocumented" feature.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts