Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the car used and have no idea when the last time the power steering fluid was changed or with what type of fluid. I see the owner manual says to use ATF fluid (specifically Mercon V) but I've seen by searching the forums many use Redline Power Steering fluid (most of those people own an SVT). So, I wanted to know your guys opinions on which fluid I should use on the change as I'd like to do this correctly.

EDIT: I'll be doing a transmission flush in the future too (automatic) so any suggestions for that is welcome as well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just used generic Mercon V for 3$ a quart at my local store. Just be sure to do it every year or so, mine was brownish and my pump a bit noisy. All went away with new fluid.

It is very easy to do, no reason to let that pump die on bad fluid!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I used Redline ATF and did a full flush. Probably good for the PS system too. I also used the appropriate Lubegard additive....in both.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'd recommend "splurging" on the genuine Ford fluid (NOT that it'll cost you much different) just because a number of posters here have had issues that showed up when using non-stock fluids in their power steering....

Sucking out the bottle & refilling it a couple times is all that's needed for a "basic" change, as long as you don't have MAJOR issues already...

mine has the remote reservoir so I could remove it & drain it easily...

luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd recommend "splurging" on the genuine Ford fluid (NOT that it'll cost you much different) just because a number of posters here have had issues that showed up when using non-stock fluids in their power steering....

Sucking out the bottle & refilling it a couple times is all that's needed for a "basic" change, as long as you don't have MAJOR issues already...

mine has the remote reservoir so I could remove it & drain it easily...

luck!
I had planned on doing just the genuine Ford fluid and switch at a later date if I felt I needed it. I just needed to get it flushed as the stuff in the reservoir is becoming a black color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts