Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Subaru WRX wagon..44K miles, 14K and I can easily get to it from where I am. Still has extended warranty 6 years 100K on the powertrain. Very well taken care of. Still has all the factory stock parts
Rare Sonic Yellow color some upgrades

OR...

2004 SVT 5 door 21K miles 13K HID lamps, actually has the same warranty 5 years 100K powertrain Silver with blue/black all service records, very well taken care of ( yes I actually listed to your advice and if I get one its gonna be this 2004)

Esentially they are both going to cost me the same amount of $$ The SVT is on the east coast, the WRX is 400 miles from me.

I am still nervous about Fords quality, and I have heard some things about the Subies transmission..

part of me just wants to hide and go and buy and simple 2.3L ZX5 automatic and be a grandpa..

But the one I would go for is essentially the same price as these others and that seriously violates my value ethic ( what do you expect, it only has 13k miles on it and its fully loaded, sunroof cruise, tilt killer stereo automatic blah blah blah)

I know this must be annoying by now, but I swear I am trying to do the best I can.. thanks for the patience..

agggggggghhhhhhh[bawling] [goofydrunk]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
SVT...because if you don't, you'll be banned here. [:D] you don't need a wagon dude...that's also "granpa". [:D]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Two of my buddies have WRXs, one has the sedan and one has the wagon. I have driven both on numerous occasions. Personally I would take my SVT. The WRX has awesome performance, but it is not as nearly as fun to drive as my SVT is. If you are going for all out performance, I would chose the WRX simply because it is already fast, and it responds well to modifications, but the SVT has amazing handling and a ton of features, plus the powerband of the engine makes it feel as though its making twice the power it really is.

Don't let the fact that Subie is japanese fool you, my friend with the wagon is on his third turbo with his car only being a year old it has spent well over a month in dealership with one engine problem after another, including the engine completely dying at 75mph. While my buddy with the sedan has not had any engine trouble with his car, it rattles horribly, and the doors shake over bumps. True the SVTs have had more than thier fair share of problems, I don't believe the problems are as frequent on the 2004s, as on the earlier production cars.

What it really comes down to is your own personal tastes, the WRX is an awesome machine, with very capable performance, but a she ain't pretty by any means. The SVT has amazing handling and more than enough performance to get you trouble, but also has a ton of goodies that really add to the joy of the car, and on top of that a banging body.

Lastly an issue of stealth, because there are so many Foci around, my SVT blends into the automotive landscape fairly well. I speed often and have never had a cop give me a second look, or tail gate me for a couple miles to try to catch me slipping up, as I often had happen when I had my Chrysler Crossfire (that car was such a cop magnet, I normally got pulled over just because the officer wanted to make sure the car was really mine and not someone elses; I was 21 at the time.) Well I can't speak from extensive experance, both of my friends with the WRXs get pulled over regularly. I blame the bright paint colors, spoilers and hood scoop.

That is only my opinion, and I am sticking to it!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was probably the best case made yet for the Focus SVT.. especially the stealth argument.

I just wish the Ford didn't feel so cheap... I have seen many with only 30-40K miles on them and the interiors just look completly worn out.

I also wonder about factory support for the SVT since lately it doesn't look good for anything from Ford.

resale is another point. While I would like to say for sure I will keep the car forever, I know me, and it will get sold eventually. When? who knows but I have been on the crap end of a trade in way too many times and I don't like it one little bit! lol..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Resale value is a concern, the original owner of my car paid the depreciation, so I don't have to. Like any other car the value declines over time, but for the 12 grand I paid for my car, I got an expertly maintained and cosmetically perfect used car. My plans are to drive the car for another two years and get another car (four door jeep wrangler) for my daily driver and build my SVT for the track, so I was not all that concerned with resale.

The WRX on the other hand has good resale based on it's desirability, but the thing to remember is that is much more complex to service if something fails, and possibly alot harder to find a dealership to do the work, much less find parts (I can think of only one subie dealership in my area). If something breaks on my SVT, I can get pretty much anything from eBay or a salvage yard from a standard focus.

Where I see this as a problem is higher milage turbo cars tend to require more engine work, and when buying a used car you are also buying whatever problems the car has had prior to it's sale. So make sure you have as much service history on each car as possible, because it all comes down to how the original owner treated the car.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
I don't know normally I would say the Rex I also own an 05 2.5 RS wagon and love it especially in this weather. But seeing as it has double the mileage and is 1k more I'm going to say go with the FoFo. The handling alone will put a [grinking] on your face everytime you drive it plus it can be modded rather inexpensively and you can have a really nice package! Of course the turbo and AWD are hard to pass up but given your case I'm sticking with the SVTF...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts