Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd imagine a tune is in order. The TC will probably freak out correct? Is there a tune specific to this?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Hmmm good question, can't recall if anyone has run into a problem or not.

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most people get a tune with their FI setup or something similar, but I'm just getting the LSD to start. That opens up doors everywhere from FI to NA. I'll shoot TurboTom a PM.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Wouldn't the LSD keep your tires from spinning so why would that freak out the Traction when it only monitors tire slippage anyways? You can always run a TC Kill switch if you just want to do burn outs.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
wait, what type of LSD are you getting?

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going with the Torsen because it's legal in SPEC Focus. I'm going to slowly make the car SPEC as I progress in my fiscal growth. Ha!

Orange, that sounded rather "cheeky". What I'm worried about is that the change in differential may cause the TC to react one way when it doesn't need to now that the LSD is in place.

In regards to burnouts, I'll leave that to you and your turbo.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
I'm sure that if the TC would freak out, there'd be hundreds of "My TC freaks out after LSD install!!!!1!" threads popping up since the SVT/Traction Control has been in the focus. Try a search next time if you don't want "cheeky" answers(what ever that means).

And to your last comment, who says I do burnouts or even have a turbo. misinformed... [dunno]

Besides if you are concerned, once you get a tune, it will totally deactivate your TC when you push the button.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
TC will still work fine with the LSD.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
I'm going with the Torsen because it's legal in SPEC Focus. I'm going to slowly make the car SPEC as I progress in my fiscal growth. Ha!

Orange, that sounded rather "cheeky". What I'm worried about is that the change in differential may cause the TC to react one way when it doesn't need to now that the LSD is in place.

In regards to burnouts, I'll leave that to you and your turbo.

I think that the issue about REAL lsds was done for good. TORSEN = Torque Sensing Differential... LSD = Limited Slip Differential. So a Torsen is not an LSD... anyways, how would they know (spec guys) what type of differential you have installed?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Traction control on the focus pulls timing when it sees wheelspin, its a completely independent system of the mechanical aspect of the transmission. If your tires slip and lose traction even with an LSD and your T/C is on, all the car will do is pull timing to "bog" engine speed in an attempt to correct.

·
Registered
784 Posts
you should be ok, i didn't have any problems with my the car, just a problem with me doing burn outs all the time. 2 stripes are better than one

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that the issue about REAL lsds was done for good. TORSEN = Torque Sensing Differential... LSD = Limited Slip Differential. So a Torsen is not an LSD... anyways, how would they know (spec guys) what type of differential you have installed?
Interesting... thanks for that fhg959. I'm not sure how they would check which differential I have but I'd rather play it by the book. Oddly enough, the MTX-75 is only allowed the FRPP Torsen or a Quaife torque biasing differential, while the Getrag is only allowed the OEM or the FRRP Torsen. So it looks like only a Ford Racing Torsen for me.

So... I will do a SEARCH on what the difference between an LSD and a TSD is... if that is even an acronym.

And for OrangeSVTGuy, I confused you with 03OrangeSVT. But since you apparently don't do searches either: "Cheeky" [neener]

EDIT: What does a Torsen (Torque Sensing) Differential do? Answer (for lack of better links.)

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
my tc still works fine...

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Are you going to turn it into a Spec Rally Car?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I still want to know how they know if you have a Torsen or Quiafe.......what do they do, crack open your gear box?

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty sure I'll have to keep a record. I'll ask around... Quaife would be nice... but dang... it's about 400 bucks more! I'm looking more at a track car vis-a-vie Spec Focus. There has been talk with my close friends about a rally-X or rally car, but from what I understand, it's expensive, more so than a track car. So we'd either stay clear or use one of our Sentra SE-R's for the job.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I still want to know how they know if you have a Torsen or Quiafe.......what do they do, crack open your gear box?
They jack the front end up in the air, and rotate one of the front wheels.
If the opposite side rotates in reverse, it's an open differential.
If the opposite side rotates in the same direction, you've got an LSD or ATB.
Yes...they can find out pretty quickly...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
He means...how do they know WHICH one, the torsen or quaife...

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
They jack the front end up in the air, and rotate one of the front wheels.
If the opposite side rotates in reverse, it's an open differential.
If the opposite side rotates in the same direction, you've got an LSD or ATB.
Yes...they can find out pretty quickly...
The quaife is an ATB, and they woul let him use it. How would they know if he has an LSD?

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll do some research right now. :) Get back to you guys asap...

My real question is this: Is there a performance difference between the Torsen and the Quaife that they wouldn't allow the Quaife in the SVTf?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts