Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do an install in my 2009,and i am going to run 4-gauge to the amp(s) in the trunk. My question is, is there a spot to run the power wire through the firewall WITHOUT drilling an extra hole? If this question has already been answered,my apologies.I couldnt find any answers so i thought i would just ask here. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is the rubber grommet with the wiring harness going through it to the left of the brake pedal. Once you find it you can just poke a hole in the rubber on the side and put your wire through it. That's probably the easiest way without drilling.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Curious why so big? eight would be overkill.. Four is like arc welding.
Tough to even get it through the cabin.
My last car i ran a pair of 8 gauge down the drivers' side sill guard, and that was hard. The speaker wires up the passenger side...

·
Registered
299 Posts
My last car i ran a pair of 8 gauge down the drivers' side sill guard, and that was hard. The speaker wires up the passenger side...
It depends on how much power he/she is running. And you can fit anything through the firewall. If it is too big to hide under the trim on the side of the car, then I would recommend going through the middle console (running to behind the HU and down under the center and then running it under the carpet under the cupholder in the rear center console, and then back to the trunk from under the back seats). The bottom for the back seats are as simple as it gets to removing them. All there is is two things to switch and it lifts right up.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
4 gauge minimum, 0/1 gauge is the best way to go. It leaves room for future system expansion.

Drill the hole, use a grommet, run the wire from the inside of the car(it is easier trust me)to the battery, seal around the wire that goes through the grommet with clear silicone.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was thinking of running the cable under the car - most times you can run it along with the brake lines straight to the trunk. Obviously wrap the cable, but it seems to be the easier way to go. Pop a quick hole in the trunk, gromet and silicone and you are set - no tearing into the interior or cross talk from running a large power cable next to other electronics.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Because when your talking about audio too much is always juuuust right.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There is the rubber grommet with the wiring harness going through it to the left of the brake pedal. Once you find it you can just poke a hole in the rubber on the side and put your wire through it. That's probably the easiest way without drilling.
That's almost exactly what I did too - only difference is I found a hard plastic "cover" near the brake pedal and drilled a hole and used a grommet with a lil bit of silicone. It is one of the best places to run your power wire.

I wouldn't recommend running it on the outside of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replys and great help!!! I am looking to do the install this weekend,hopefully everything goes smoothly!! Thanks again!!

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I have not done an MKII but I do not think it is much different if any.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is an instructable for 2008-11 MTX Foci. In any case id start the wiring from the engine bay.

1. Turn your wheels hard right and then remove the 5 fastners that hold the back half of the plastic wheel well in.

2. Work the loose half of the wheel well down against the tire so you can access the wiring harness.

3. Feed your power wire down behind the Fuse box and beside the shock tower and down to the ground so there is slack.

4. Make a stinger out of 5"-6" of coat hanger and tape to your power wire. (if you have a bench grinder it makes it easier if you put a point on the end of the coat hanger)

5. VERY CAREFULLY push the stinger through the grommet until it comes into the cabin. Then grab a hold of it and pull it through.

you can see my wire on the top of the wire harness.

hope this will help you as it has helped some in the past!

·
Registered
296 Posts
this is exactly why you think its overkill! you ran two 8 gauge wires to the trunk. You could have run 1 4ga or bigger wire to the trunk with a distribution block and been much better off and still have the same or better power handling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stangbanger, That is exactly the way we ran the powerwire,thanks so much for the advice just as well.It seems like the best and safest way to run powerwire through the firewall. [clap]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts