Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have problems with it getting to hot.... this is my first car with a temp thing in the dash so not sure if its norm.... but its like 88 outside today, but after sitting like 10 mins it got up to 115

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The ambient temp sensor is probably right in front of the engine like it was on my last car. In which case as the car is sitting still with no cool air blowing past the sensor, it's getting air from the engine bay and reading that.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Well ... I am in Houston, TX ... my temp in my car is usually around 108-115 ... lol

-Ray-

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The ambient temp sensor is probably right in front of the engine like it was on my last car. In which case as the car is sitting still with no cool air blowing past the sensor, it's getting air from the engine bay and reading that.
If im not mistaken the focus's exterior temp gauge is on the bottom of the exterior rear view mirror ( see little nub there)

·
Registered
260 Posts
It could be picking up on heat radiating from the asphalt, or warm air rising up from underneath the car.

Most cars I've driven won't read the correct temp after sitting for 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to get a consistant measurement given all the different environments and speeds a car sees.

·
Registered
68 Posts
does it read the same when you are driving? or just when you are sitting still in the parking lot?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Still.....goes back to normal when driving,,, wasnt sure if the engine is getting to hot or not
Well I don't know about the non MFD vehicles... but mine doesn't show engine temp. You may very well have the ability to show your IAT's in which case closer to ambient when cruising and then a climb up while idling would be very normal.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well I don't know about the non MFD vehicles... but mine doesn't show engine temp. You may very well have the ability to show your IAT's in which case closer to ambient when cruising and then a climb up while idling would be very normal.
That's just his outside temperature display, they almost always read high when the car's been sitting still, that's normal.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, if the outside temp sensor is in the usual place that Ford have them then this is normal. The sensors are usually at the front around the grille area thus it picks up the heat from the water and the A/C rad, plus the road.
Chris

·
Registered
772 Posts
The outside ambient air temperature sensor is located in the passenger side outside rearview mirror. It's underneath, as seen by the "nub" hanging on the bottom of the mirror.

Never the less, the temperature readout should not update when the car knows it's standing still, for this reason.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts