Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the store yesterday to pick up my fuel filter which was the easiest filter change I have ever done... I am not sure if it made a difference but it's good insurance and the old one has LOADS of crap in it.

I also picked up some oil for the tranny because I figure it would be a good idea to change it out at this point (90k). I got Mobil 1 full synthetic and it was ATF fluid according to the guy at the parts store!!! Is that correct? I was figuring it would be some sort of gear oil... [???:)]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
This is something of a grey topic. The official Motorcraft fluid is either wildly expensive, an imported part, or completely nonexistent, depending on who you ask. What I was able to settle on when I recently changed out my Getrag's fluid was that it is an ATF, and not a gear oil. The most common answer you'll get to this question is Royal Purple Synchromax, which is an ATF fluid, and supposedly some of the best. I got mine for $8/qt online, and the change has made a difference.

Whether or not that fluid will work is something somebody else will have to answer, but it probably wont hurt anything. The fluid I drained looked kinda ill after just 36000miles, so a change is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know thanks for the input!

Just noticed your from Maine- man I've got to goto Bar Harbor again. That place is breathe taking to say the least!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
There's definitly something to be said about the state, if you havent been up north I suggest you keep it that way. Best bet is to stay within 10 miles of the coast [;)]

If you come up bring the 944. My martial arts instructor drives a 944 S2 which, apparently, is a pretty decent little car. He's looking to sell for a Boxster S tho. If I had all kinds of money to blow I'd take it as my summer car.

*Bump* for confirmation on the fluid.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I agree, the coast is def the best! I have been in upstate, westernish parts- I got lost because I was following the instructions of my ex who was in the passenger seat. What a fool to listen to a woman's navigation... lol

My 44 has not been in Maine in about a year, maybe it'll return soon! 944s are some the THE most fun cars to drive. They are perfectly balanced and they have enough power to get around because they are pretty light weight. Mine gets around 30MPG too which makes it fairly economical on road trips... Turbos (951) can go over 160MPH with a few mods and the S2 is fairly quick too. Is his a cabrio? I was debating over getting either a S2 Cabriolet or the SVTF but I ended up getting my Focus [:)]

OK back to the subject- anyone have some mroe input on this?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I read through all of that. Good info! Thanks!

The problem is that I already bought a load of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF which no one says if it is OK or not. Synchomax seems to be the stuff to get but is the Mobil 1 ATF ok for it? The guy at Advance Auto Parts says that's what it calls for...

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The mobile one fluid would likely be ok. I do want to mention however that since I changed to Royal Purple Syncromax, my tranny is one smooth shifting sob, I LOVE the stuff and so does my tranny!!! [;)]

BTW, I don't know how much of the mobile one stuff you bought but the Getrag only needs 2.1 quarts.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I read that about the 2.1qts. That guy at advance said I needed 4qts!!! Wtf it was expensive stuff too!!! I'm going to hunt for that reciept and see if I can return it!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I doubt the guy at AZ looked it up right... in my experience, most 'discount' types of autoparts stores hire entry level people who either don't know where to look for critical information or are too lazy to bother

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had pretty good luck with Auto Zone in the past but I wouldn't doubt that he was incorrect on this. Especially since there is such a controversy over it....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I work in an auto shop (been either a tech or a service mgr for 17yrs or so) it just seems I deal with more 'wrong parts' with the likes of those places verses the older style 'still has books on the counter' type of place. Your experiences may be different, its just my opinion

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I just checked the Motorcraft book here at work and it says just MerconIII. But my owners manual says use Motorcraft Full Synthetic Mercon V.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Ford told me you have to use Full synthetic MANUAL transmission fluid, they had a seperate part number for it (last year)

I looked in my fluid spec book at work, got the service number and compared it to other fluids, and the only other fluid I could find with the same service description was RP synchromax. So thats what I use.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Part# is XT-M5-QS Motorcraft synthetic... Just had mine done. It is as good as any of the other synthetic brands out there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Keep in mind the service interval is 120k miles. I've talked to the getrag engineers and I'd stick with the ford stuff. Steve at Tousley ford (1-800-328-9552) knows exactly what you need and ship it for a great price. I only changed mine because I found a blown shaft seal the night before the focus challenge event at beaverun. I temporarily put in some redline mtl I had laying around, and then back the good stuff the following week.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I wouldn't recommend waiting 120K miles before changing your tranny fluid. Depending on what type of driving you do, I wouldn't go past 60K. I was at 35k when I changed mine and there were some signs of oil degradation. I tend to drive my car really hard and have an 80 mile daily commute. You really can't over maintain the oils in your car.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah it shound't hurt to replace the fluid- it's cheap insurance!

I'm going to try to return the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF stuff if I can and get some synchomax.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts