Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my car may be in anti theft mode. We have two focuses, an '01 and an '02. we have been having major issues wth the '01 and have been swapping parts witht he '02 to try to figure out the problem. We came down to the computer thinking it may be the culprit. The '02's computer wouldn't start the '01 and now it won't start the '02 either. Called the dealership and the service guy told me that it is probably in theft mode and that it would have to be brought in to be taken out. He told me to try and get it out using both sets of keys going back and forth between the sets. So far that hasn't worked. I am going to try to pull the battery and try that again. Does anyone have any other tricks for taking it out of this mode? Said to put first set in and crank for three seconds, put second set in and do the same thing then go back to the first set. I guess there is something with the the keys that are programmed into the computer. Wish we had known that before trying to swap computers[:(]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update..... just disconnected the battery and tried again. With the first key, it turned over but wouldn't start then after that wouldn't do anything. Disconnected it again and it did the same thing. So, not sure what's going on. I am really tryign to avoid having it towed to a dealership because that will be expensive.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Yes, there is an RFID chip built into the keys, it's referred to as the PATS or passive anti-theft system. Removing the neg terminal on the battery might work. I'm personally surprised that it didn't recognize the key when re-installed in the correct vehicle.

FYI: ECU, or PCM problems are fairly rare in these vehicles, and Fords in general. It is more common with those where the computer is mounted in the engine compartment. Ford is really good about this, and I can't even recall ever having to replace a Ford ECU, but I'm sure those have gone bad in a couple of vehicles on this forum. I understand that's usually a last ditch effort, but you'd be better off opening a thread to describe the starting problem you're having and see if someone can find a problem other than the ECU. Also, if it was an ECU problem, you would see ---------- on the odometer display, and absolutely nothing would happen when turning the key, no crank, not even a click from the starter or relay. Other issues can cause the same starting symptom, but not the dashes on the odometer and no crank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. At first my car was displaying the dashes in the odometer but since it it the turning over but not starting thing the reading came back. My husbands car (the '01) I have posted about on here before (possibly under a different screen name since my other one doesn't let me post now for soem reason). It misfires on 1 and 4, checked everythgin imaginable that we got down to the computer thinking maybe it is malfunctioning and not giving us a light that it should be. Bad sensors usually give a DTC, though we did swap out the maf sensor ust to see. Did plugs, wires, coil, coil wiring harness, injectors and checked the timing. The timing belt has 126k on it but my husband said it seemed to be ok.

Right now, I have the battery disconnected again. Going to leave it off for awhile and see if that might get it to reset or whatever. Any other ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a 2008 Ford Focus which I was having issues or I am still having issues with starting it turning the key with no crank or nothing. So if anybody has any ideas about getting past my antitheft situation I would appreciate it as of right now I replace the starter and nothing got a key from a junkyard and nothing it is not electric no electric windows things like that so maybe somebody has some ideas

·
Registered
16,336 Posts
Key from JY will not work, the key is matched to the individual computer in the car.

Some later models have ignition cylinder issues with starting, look around the site and you will trip over posting about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts