Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
True it was a slight cheat as part of the drive was slight downhill..
I was out and getting on ramp (two lanes) truck lumbering in right so I WOT it to pass and enter freeway.. The reset mpg meter.. cruised along at 60/55..
Couple of miles, another freeway, couple of miles get off and BAM! 44.7mpg
Sometimes it is a big suprise.. (like a watched pot never boils?)

I am at 800 miles..
Got off freeway with 44.7.....
Then at light mpg drops a lot.. from the freeway off ramp up a steep hill another light, then a turn to a flat causeway..
On that I was going 35mph (5th gear) and the mpg was at 40. then 40.1 then 40.2

What that means to me is the car is using LESS gas than 40mpg right then.. so it is boosting the totals .. fantastic.

So I tried again. The usual 33mpg on the freeway.. So it was a total fluke.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It will level itself out. The mpgs will drop rapidly as you get on the gas and will fall off while you idle.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This sounds normal. If I had a mpg readout on my 05 it would show something similar

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
We had a 2011 edge, and currently have a 2014 C-Max Energi and the 2014 Focus SE. The Edge and the C-Max both have a real time MPG indicator which shows a single vertical bar graph that moves up and down as you drive. It shows you approximately how throttle and hills and what not affect your MPG. Basically when you're on the gas at all it's pretty much down at 0 until you are driving along at a consistent speed or coasting. Even the slightest amount of gas pedal and you're MPG drops significantly in that moment. So downhill and coasting are your friend for sure. I'm sure the same thing is used to calculate the MPG's in our Foci just without the GUI.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yesterday I installed a K&N air filter, and replaced the ST velocity stack with the ST velocity stack I had on my SE, Which I had cut out the flat blank area to the right side of the plastic. (leaving the curve of the velocity stack intack. There is no block behind it in the intake, so IMO it is a limiter, and opening up the space gives a little more air...)

Anyway, the good news is better mpgs. Today I drove my freeway loop at 50 to 53mph , and got 40.7 mpg so that was start to finish in a large circle. [cheers]

I was impressed with my own car.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Cars have been getting 75+ for over 10 years in the UK
Yeah, but are they Focus ST ?
I thought you got the fiST
No, Elizabeth got a 2014 Focus ST3 in Tangerine Scream to replace her 2012 Focus SE 5MT in Yellow Blaze .

And 75+ MPG UK is only around 60 MPG US since the imperial gallon is approximately 20% larger than the U.S. gallon providing 20% more range per theoretical unit. The other thing is that the ECE fuel economy cycles are much more optimistic and in the real world people struggle to come anywhere near these sky high figures.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought you got the fiST
Nope, I have a Focus ST.
I have been working on mpgs a lot trying to convince my cheapskate soul it is all OK.. That I will still get pretty good mpgs.. even with a ST..
Seems to be working. The more I drive slow, the better the mpgs are getting.
Naturally a few fast moments here and there.. (that was the reason for getting the ST...)
I like the acceleration. [like] (when I am not driving like a geriatric.. LOL)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
No, Elizabeth got a 2014 Focus ST3 in Tangerine Scream to replace her 2012 Focus SE 5MT in Yellow Blaze .

And 75+ MPG UK is only around 60 MPG US since the imperial gallon is approximately 20% larger than the U.S. gallon providing 20% more range per theoretical unit. The other thing is that the ECE fuel economy cycles are much more optimistic and in the real world people struggle to come anywhere near these sky high figures.
These are personal people I know, that bitch because their Ford and Reno in the UK got nearly twice the mileage.

Something like 70% of S.U.V's are used by one person and a tiny percentage of that is used to haul more then one person, yet we see S.U.V's and trucks all the time. My apartment complex is full of trucks and S.U.V's to a bunch of rich ass holes that want to drive land yachts for no reason. I live in DOWNTOWN for Christ sakes. The most dirt your going to get is driving over that freshly swept road to go to their favorite coffee bar, where they pay someone like me to get them a 5$ small coffee.

Why can't we all drive a focus and be happy, wait till everyone in china wants an SUV, you think our air sucks now.
Nope, I have a Focus ST.
I have been working on mpgs a lot trying to convince my cheapskate soul it is all OK.. That I will still get pretty good mpgs.. even with a ST..
Seems to be working. The more I drive slow, the better the mpgs are getting.
Naturally a few fast moments here and there.. (that was the reason for getting the ST...)
I like the acceleration. [like] (when I am not driving like a geriatric.. LOL)
The hardest thing about stretching MPG's for me is remembering cruise control, especially in a stick.

Good luck Elizabeth, sounds like your happy and its a sweet little car!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts