Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a couple of things I may or maynot need to get.

For sure need new bushing for the rear sway bar links
getting some knocking noise so need front sway bar links
and my engine mount leaks here and there

my question is what parts can i get used or from the junk yard and which I should get new. i'm a college student so kinda on a budget....

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
It all depend on how long you want things to last, how worn the salvage yard part are, and how much money you can afford to pump into your car. If you plan on keeping your car for many more years, you would probably be better off getting new part unless you can somehow find an almost unused Focus at a salvage yard. If the parts wore out on your car, they are most likely worn out on other cars.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I wouldn't do bushings from the junkyard. It will most likely be out of a car that was blown up and sat.

Suspension links would be a 50/50 thing. You may not be able to find any that aren't beat up, but you could get lucky.

Motor mounts are pretty cheap new if you're going for an OEM replacement. You can also check out the BST section because guys are always swapping out their originals for upgraded ones.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i really only use junk yards for parts that do really go bad, like interior panels, grills, plastic parts you get the idea.

endlinks its not worth it, chances are the ones in the junk yard are messed up too.

only thing i ever got at the junk yard that was a wear thing was some o2 sensors after i dropped like $80 on a bosh one that would hit my windage tray. got 5 oem ones for $20, all of which worked.

you may find a car with brand new endlinks if your lucky. when i was searching the wreckers i found a zetec with a brand new timing belt/pulleys on it.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
I wouldn't do junkyard engine mounts or sway bar endlinks. Check out rock auto for the mounts, I just got trans and dog bone mounts for cheap (3rd party). And the moog endlinks from an autostore aren't bad price wise.

I tend to hit up the junkyard for non-wearing items. Generally I've grabbed hubs, MAF, and the advance track brake setup I scored not to long ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts