Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my paint is fading on the roof, because of that I am planning to get a paint job. I'll probably get the entire body painted, which I will probably get the paint job in MAACO. Has anyone gotten a paint job there? Good service? I'm currently in St. Louis, MO, does anyone know of another place that does paint jobs at a good price? Thanks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've heard some Maaco horror stories. I've heard of them getting paint INSIDE the car in one case, and to be honest, I haven't heard much positive about them at all.

Maybe someone else can vouch for their quality, but I'd look around for someone more dependable.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
NO!

you should see my roomates car. They partly painted over the Trim. It is not good at all.

NOt one person I haved talked to has said anything good about them except they are cheap.

You Get WHat You Pay For!!!!!

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
In St. Louis also Steer away from Suntrup Ford. Their Bodyshop is also not very good.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
no you will regret it. While it may be cheap, thats exactly what you get...Im sure you can use alittle elbow greese and some cleaning products and bring the shine back alittle.

·
Registered
797 Posts
if u like drips in ure paint and lots of overspray on stuff like ure mirrors then id say do it..lo...no do not do it..i got a 250dollar paint job once and regreted it very much...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
if you leave your windows down they will paint the inside i hear they suck @$$ dont do it save the money

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
What part of St. Louis are you in?

I'm originally from Illinois near St. Louis. Look up Reiss Ford. It is in Marrisa, IL, and they do an outstanding job with bodywork and painting. It's a small coal mining town about an hour away from STL.

I recently slid my car into a wheat field, they left some nice dings and paint chips on my quarter panel from the rocks. They fixed that right up, and without me knowing it, until I looked closely, they repainted my front bumber at no extra charge. My front bumber had stains from washing my car before.

I highly recommend them, if you feel like doing the drive. If not, head to Belleville, Illinois on North Illinois Street. There is an outstanding body shop there that do re-paints. It's called Classic Auto Body. Here is their phone number. 618-233-7951

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Rudel said:
Good Luck!
Touche.

I've seen some pretty awful Maaco paint jobs. I'll take a picture if I remeber, but there is this one car for sale that I drive by everyday in which EVERYTHING on the car was painted (grille, doorlocks, doorhandles, emblems, EVERYTHING).

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
It's pretty sad when almost every story you hear about some business (Maaco) in this case, is negative...I can't say I've EVER heard anything good about them around me. The horror stories are common...yea, they can be cheap, and that's exactly what you will most likely get.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
ZX4STDoug said:
...yea, they can be cheap, and that's exactly what you will most likely get.
Yep. You give them $200, and they simply spray paint over your current paintjob (and anything else that happens to be in the way).

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
since everyone has said the obvious. . . i will tell you, it is possible to get a nice looking paint job from them.

you HAVE to do the prepwork though. Since you are only paying them to do the painting, here are a few quick steps you need to take in order to get the best bang for your buck, and not end up with a horror story of your own.....

first, you need to prep your car.

-if you have bad paint, you need to remove the flaking/peeling by sanding down the area. as long as you arne't looking for show quality SEMA paint, you can paint over the existing paint and get good results. you need to start with a heavy grit, and work your way up to where you can no longer see your sanding marks. the sandpaper you start with will depend on your paints condition. in some cases, you can simply get 3M Red Scuff pads and just dull the finish.

- Once your paint is prepped, it would be best to go ahead and mask off EVERYTHING. if i had to do it, i would mask of the vehicle myself, and then trailer the car to MAACO. tape off all the trim, windows, wheel wells, engine bay, EVERYTHING. remember, you are paying them to spray the car, not mask it off.

The more you do in terms of prep means the less they have to do, and the more time they can devote to spraying your car. Much of the bad paint from them is a result of rushing the prep which translates into rushing the painting. You are paying them to paint, so help them by supplying them with a good prep job.

Finally, be prepared to finish the vehicle. Even with high end paint jobs, you will still get sags, and/or runs in the paint. Just because there are sags/runs, does not mean the paint is ruined. Allow the paint to cure for a few days, and then wetsand the vehicle. all show quality jobs are wetsanded to get a smooth finish. Runs/sags can be eliminated through this process.

Follow the wetsanding with a good buffing/polish with a rotary (high speed) buffer with wool cutting and then foam cutting, foam polishing, and foam finishing pads.

I garantee you can make a 200 dollar paint job look like a 1000 dollar paint job.

Most any body shop will tell you the key to a great paint job is in the prep and finishing work, not the actual painting. if you can do the prep and finishing yourself, I GUARANTEE you will be pleased with your results. PM me if you need any help or info.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Actually, cbrenn71, is in every way correct...

1st people that bring their car's to maaco, are usually 10-20 year old cars with a value of less than $8,000. The cheap paint job usually reflects the condition of the car, and the amount of prep-work that went into the car...

my friend, has his EG civic repainted, dark shadow gray, for $500, and it turned out remarkably well, with only a few spots of imperfections which could be fixed with a little wet-sanding and buffing. He put many, many hours of prep-work into it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if you know what you're doing, and can do the prep work, you can take your car to any painter, and provided they have a clean painting environment, fix nearly all paint defects yourself, granted the paint is applied properly.

i'm willing to bet most people could get amazing results at maaco if they prepped properly and then did the proper finishing activities such as wetsanding/buffing.

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
I have NEVER EVER heard ANYTHING good about Maaco. THe only things I hear about Maaco sound like this:

"Don't EVER take your car to Maaco! IT SUCKS!"

Can't be more clear than that, right? heh.

·
Dragon Warrior
309 Posts
Sunset Ford in St.louis is the largest Ford Dealer in the area you may want to give them a try.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
my dad got his 87 mustang painted for $800.00....(NOT at macco)....but he kept the price down by removing mouldings, window trim, head and tail lights, bumpers...anything he did NOT want pained.......saved him a couple hundred dollars......and prevented overspray. car looks PIMP now....

like cbrenn71 said...prep prep prep.....make sure it's good BEFORE it goes in.......

P.S......don't wax the car for a month...let the paint cure.......[thumb]

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
dont' wax macco's crappy paint at all!

they use acrylic paint. i'm not crapping you either.

thier paint is HORRIBLE thier employees suck at painting. hell you'd be better off to give me $200 and let me pee on your car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts