Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are SVT front swaybars thicker than the factory piece?

Is the horn located in the front bumper area on Mk IIs, heard somewhere that it is located in the rear bumper, but I could be mistaken.

What type of slightly upgraded pads are people using in the front, not looking for a big brake kit when I am really stock + to be realistic, but would like better braking when I am out driving enthusiastically on the back roads of FL. Was thinking Yellow Stuff or Green Stuff by EBC.

Is it best to stick to Ford OEM for coolant when I do my first flush coming up this summer, or sooner so I can put that 180 degree thermostat finally, or is there any other coolant type that FOFO community likes.

Thank to all for any input.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
SVT front bars are the same size as front bars for a car that already had front & rear bars. Larger than front for one WITHOUT rear bar.

Stay with Factory coolant for your car, best since you do NOT then have to deal with trying to flush completely & change over to something different.

Horns are NEVER at the rear, unless an aux. train horn for fun on a Peterbilt.

Hawk HPS for extra bite on the street. EBC has choices as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2011 only had the front sway bar, I added an svt rear and added the prothane kit and endlinks but would like to remove more roll. I don't where I had heard about the horns, or misheard more likely, but that didn't sound right to me and figured id ask. Ill look at the pricing on the HAWK HPS pad too. Would an svt front bar and steeda comp bar work as a combo? That comp bar is stupid cheap and if I could find a svt front swaybar I'm hoping it would make a great combo.

Really appreciate your guys input and experience.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
2011 only had the front sway bar, I added an svt rear and added the prothane kit and endlinks but would like to remove more roll. I don't where I had heard about the horns, or misheard more likely, but that didn't sound right to me and figured id ask. Ill look at the pricing on the HAWK HPS pad too. Would an svt front bar and steeda comp bar work as a combo? That comp bar is stupid cheap and if I could find a svt front swaybar I'm hoping it would make a great combo.

Really appreciate your guys input and experience.
What other suspension mods do you have? For your case= Eibach 22mm/25mm would work great. Would you be replacing the rotors? or just a pad slap? For sure you'll want to do a brake flush. Coolant= use the gold stuff, not green.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
What SIZE Steeda for the rear?

Been a while since I heard of that one for the MkI/II, IIRC it was a LARGE one (28mm) that can NOT be used unless you already have a stiff suspension installed. Use it with stock suspension and you'll likely break a rear lower control arm.

22/25 (nice combo) Bruce mentions is also pushing it for use with stock springs.

'S' model would be one with front bar only, not all 2011's.

Your current front bar combined with the SVT rear bar is already much 'sportier' than any stock combo, smaller front reduces understeer.

Springs should come before any more sway bar changes, that's where you start to build a good system. More added stability from an even slightly stiffer setup.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
This^^^ You have to think of the whole package= springs/dampers/sway bars & of course tires. Do thou's & you'll enjoy driving this car more.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Pretty sure the "S" trim came with an 18mm front bar.

SEL came with 20mm front, 18mm rear

SES came with 22mm front, 20mm rear

If you don't also intend to install stiffer springs/struts, then you don't need stiffer bars.

Sway bars are meant to be a compliment to an already sorted suspension, they aren't meant to be the only piece that mitigates body roll. You could install a 28mm bar and still have body roll AND break other pieces of the suspension while you're at it.

My advice, if you don't want to buy a full suspension setup, just find the SEL bars on ebay or something. 20mm front and 18mm rear will be more than suitable for street use.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What SIZE Steeda for the rear?

Been a while since I heard of that one for the MkI/II, IIRC it was a LARGE one (28mm) that can NOT be used unless you already have a stiff suspension installed. Use it with stock suspension and you'll likely break a rear lower control arm.

22/25 (nice combo) Bruce mentions is also pushing it for use with stock springs.

'S' model would be one with front bar only, not all 2011's.

Your current front bar combined with the SVT rear bar is already much 'sportier' than any stock combo, smaller front reduces understeer.

Springs should come before any more sway bar changes, that's where you start to build a good system. More added stability from an even slightly stiffer setup.

My 2011 SE came without a rear swaybar. Has one now :D

Also - if you want to save afew bucks on the coolant flush, Motorcraft Gold coolant is just G-05 coolant. Napa often runs some pretty good sales on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts