Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm comparing two turbo kits. Turbo kit #1 has an internal wastegate, and no intercooler. Turbo kit #2 has an external wastegate and an intercooler. The maker of TK1 has been quoted as saying that a person who's using the kit shouldn't let the car idle for long periods of time.

The question is: what would cause this issue, and would it affect TK2 also?

I'm fairly clueless about turbos and have had limited experience with a Trans Am carbureted turbo, and a Shelby Z Daytona. I'm guessing bearing lubrication would be the issue, but I thought turbo bearings were fed with engine oil tapped off the filter housing?

Thanks in advance, I know it's a freaky question.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I found out, it has more to do with lean mixtures because the air intake temp could heat up beyond the ability of the sensor. I incorrectly theorized it was a bearing issue.

·
FF Affiliate
30,887 Posts
Turbo kits with no external waste gates are there to keep more money in the builders pocket not to help you any

Internal waste gate or external has nothing to do with idle but the cooler will if it is a well built kit there shouldnt be any heat soak sitting at idle unless the piping it high in the engine bay or close to the engine or manifold

You shouldnt be seeing 250+IAT sitting at idle with a turbo kit and no cooler unless were talking about 20+ Min sessions

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts