Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus Titanium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I have been a member here for a while, ever since I got my 2014 Focus Titanium, but mainly just browsing for info here and there. Finally have some questions.

I am having a problem with my steering. It's been on and off all this year. The rack "moans" when you turn either direction, like a metal on metal sound. It's a lot quieter when turning the wheels to the left. It's finally got to where it makes a popping sound when turning to the right. I bought a rack from a salvage yard (because..."yikes" is what comes to mind looking at new or refurbished racks...). The rack problem appears to have been the cause of a flat I had recently. The inside edge of the tire was completely worn away to the metal. Looking at the other 3 tires, they are worn on the inside edges too, so 4 new tires are in the plan.

My AC compressor quit on July 3rd. The clutch was rattling since October of last year, but the AC still worked, so I didn't mess with it. So I will be putting on a "new" AC compressor, too, and recharging the system.

So, as of right now, I am going to be putting on a "new" rack, new outer tie rods, new sway bar endlink on the front, four new tires, "new" AC compressor, air filter, oil change, and Gates belts. Is there anything else I should be looking at routine maintenance-wise or repair while I'm doing all that?

I bought the car at 30,000 miles, I'm now at 72,000, and I have done basically nothing to it except a couple new tires, alignment, and oil changes since I've owned it. It's been a fairly nice change from my other two vehicles, a 1983 Ford F-100 and a 1995 Mustang GT, that require constant fixing, tweaking, and tuning, but I'm sure it needs some love while I have it in the shop.

So, to that end, are there any other common problems or routine maintenance items I should think about doing right now? I don't want to sink a ton of money into the car, since that would defeat the purpose of having a low-cost daily driver, but don't mind doing what it needs.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So, to that end, are there any other common problems or routine maintenance items I should think about doing right now?
At 72K...not really. Maybe check the brake pads. Change the cabin filter. I did a coolant swap, cleaned the TB and new spark plugs at 100K. You're early for that.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus Titanium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At 72K...not really. Maybe check the brake pads. Change the cabin filter. I did a coolant swap, cleaned the TB and new spark plugs at 100K. You're early for that.
Yeah, I strongly considered plugs, since I usually have older style engines with copper plugs that don't last 100k miles lol. But the engine runs fine, no misses or anything, so why mess with it right now...

I thought about pads, too. Might go ahead and do them since the front end will be apart anyway.

I had a cabin air filter in my RockAuto cart...might add it back. Probably needs it.

Coolant is one I will probably go ahead and knock out, I think the interval is 5 years typically. Yellow universal and distilled water ok for these after a flush with the garden hose and a couple days of straight water to clean it out? (I'm a bit behind the times on coolant technology, I change the green stuff out every two years in the truck and usually run straight water in the Mustang)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I took the safe route and stuck with Motorcraft coolant. No need to flush. You can do a simple drain/fill at the radiator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts