Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to the site and so far I like what I see about the site. Early last week, I purchased a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 for my 15 year old daughter as her first car. It as the 2.0L Zetec motor with 116K showing on the odometer. I've replaced the serpentine belt because it blew as we were driving the car home from purchasing it. From what I know about the car, we purchased it from the original owner, who was an elderly female, and it was religiously maintained. However, since I just found oil resting in all four spark plug holes, I am beginning to doubt that it was religiously maintained. I don't have much experience with four cylinder Fords since I sold my 1990 Probe GT turbo about ten years ago. All of my Ford experience comes from fox body Mustangs and Ford V8 Pickups. I don't think that the oil being there is normal by any means and if anyone knows what direction I should take from there, please let me know. I'm not going to pull the plugs just yet because I don't know what will happen if the oil gets into the combustion chamber.

Thanks for any and all help

Mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
You have a bad valve cover gasket causing the oil in the spark plug holes nothing major there, it is a common Zetec problem. Replacing it is very simple. There is a how to on the subject in how to section. If you can replace the serp belt you can do a valve cover gasket with ease. Don't worry too much about it but I would fix as soon as possible leaking valve cover gaskets lead to other more problematic things in these cars.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
^^^^^ I second the valve cover gasket. Very common on the Zetec. When you install the new one . Follow the torque specs. It isn't much .IIRC. its only 5 or 7 ft.lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts