Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know what was changed on the gen2 manifold (this is what I was told I had) but the fitment issues seem to be just as bad

Moves turbo back almost touching the block with the Exh housing of the turbo
Makes it where you have to use a adaptor for the block breather

Turbo inlet is behind the block flange (where trans bolts up) and no way to put intake hose or piping on turbo

Turbo flange on the manifold is moved to the pass side to much and makes it very hard to do a good flowing down pipe and no way of doing a 3 inch with out removing the AC

I would like to see the mounting bolt holes slight smaller

and the angle the turbo flange is moved more flat and not rolled back twords the engine like it is

I want to use this manifold in my DIY kit but with all these issues I think I am going to drop it or look for something else

SPA I am very intersted in getting these issues fixed and will do the R&D if your willing to make the changes I feel you will sell 50 times more manifolds if they fit right

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I am curious about whose car you are using to fit this up to?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Thats what I thought!

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Yes plz keep us updated. I was planning on getting one of you DIY kits by then end of september/early oct to start collecting parts for my turbo build but, i guess i'll hold off until you figure out which manifold you wanna use/spa fixes thiers.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
We really need this cast manifold to work out, Log styles just crack too much. Plus they are very labor intensive and require some exotic work to get good flows.

·
FF Affiliate
30,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made a 1 inch spacer to go between the head and the manifold and that helped a TON so updates will come as things move along

Tom

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
This set up will be able to let us retain the factory fans and what not right. I know on the xios kit they give new fans for the SVT version of thier kit and i'm hearing the stock SVT fans are the best there is atm so i'd like to keep em.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I made a 1 inch spacer to go between the head and the manifold and that helped a TON so updates will come as things move along

Tom
this is what i was going to suggest to see if it was pheasable.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts

Tom
... sounds expensive

thats like... an ingot of steel... lol

not to mention machine time to mill out the ports!

(unless you have a source for casting these pieces too)

·
Registered
789 Posts
^ you may be able to make it out of cast aluminum. since all it is doing is filling space, it won't really be a weight bearing piece so you could possibly get away with using a softer material than steel.

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
... sounds expensive

thats like... an ingot of steel... lol

not to mention machine time to mill out the ports!

(unless you have a source for casting these pieces too)
it wouldnt be that expensive it probably started as a 2"x18"x1" peice of steel and depending on the quality of it probably ranged from a couple dollars to a lot of dollars
if tom was gonna make more of these i'm sure he would by a much larger piece of steel and make a bunch of these out of it to keep costs reasonable

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Or if it was going to be mass produced they could just go back and modify the manifold to be spaced out correctly o_O

·
FF's Quadriplegic!
2,897 Posts
This explains my delay too Tom? poo-ey Hope SPA comes fixes these issues.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
wow... waterjet has come a long way since the last time i checked it out. Apparently now you can get ones that will do 6" thicknesses... [ohcrap]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts