Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my water pump and serp belt are fairly new should I still change out everything?- I dont know how old they are 2yrs max but was told upon sale that pump had been replaced.
Im guessing their mechanic couldnt be bothered with the timing belt.
The car ran pretty well before it stopped running but did have a very noticeable vibration that (buzzed) the whole dashboard. Im guessing from the little I know that this could mean my motor mount is bad.

as always thanks for the comments/wise cracks

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Throw a mileage guess since changed out there......................some can wear a new car out in a year.............hey what's all this crap on my left..............awwwww I hate bar graphs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its at 126,000 now- Im guessing the pump and serp belt got changed at 120-124.

I do feel special with my own graph.

If anyone has a great video to ref or notes on the time belt switch/set would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Leave 'em alone. Get that timer done though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The thing is that you can never be sure if, when and why they were changed. To replace the timing belt, you will be taking out the serpentine belt too and if it is a stretch fit (i.e. no tensioner - based on a Euro Focus model), it's always a good idea to replace it. Just make sure you have the "special" tools to install the stretch belt - Ford supply their stretch belts complete with the tool kit.

A 2 year old pump with that kind of mileage on it is a non issue as long as the right coolant mixture is used.

One last thing - it's much easier to loosen the coolant pump pulley bolts with the serpentine belt still in place !

Good Luck

·
Registered
360 Posts
This sounds like a US Zetec 2.0 those use the usual tensioner arrangement. I did not know they were using stretch fit belts on anything in Europe, how hideous. Is there some law out there that you Europeans get the ass-backwards engine designs? Ye gads, interference engines that make a mess of the valves if the timing belt breaks and now giant rubber bands for accessory belts?

·
Registered
321 Posts
@tmittelstaedt

As much as I prefer the traditional belt tensioner system, I sort of got used to it and the extra spend on the fitting tool is offset by the savings on the new tensioner and the occasional idler puller replacement.

The interference engine that you mention is a terrible design since as you say, a timing problem will almost always result in a catastrophic failure. God only knows how many engines are thrown on the scrap heap just because the belt snaps or even slips at high revs. The only way I can explain this design philosophy is the need to generate more sales through failure and planned obsolescence. The increasingly obsessed Greens over here argue that the slight increase in piston length / stroke helps to produce a better burn and therefore less emissions. But then to make things even more ridiculous (and inspite of what they teach you in engineering about fail-safe systems) Ford installs a belt instead of a chain and a keyless crank gear and pulley that are only held stationary on the crank shaft by a bolt. Go figure !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts