Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This big black thumb button used to engage the shift handle broke off and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix it? Hopefully I don't need an all new shifter. It looks like it's a piece that can just clip in (if I were to get a new one) but I've searched and can't find this specific piece. Any advice?

(Not my pic, just a reference)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree, just get a whole new shifter whether from junkyard or online, there are even some tips in the Amazon reviews.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
There is a setscrew hole lower down that when loosened lets the top handle come off but be warned you will be stretching the OD switch cables by doing it. They have to be unplugged underneath shifter. That means console must be off. The black button may well simply snap into place. If broken you're not losing anything by fishing around to see if the rest of it comes out to simply snap in another. There is a spring and likely a locator pin of some type behind it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not sure that the button is easy to find as a replacement or if its removable. The cheapest option would be to find a pick n pull type place and grab the part from there.

You can buy them new, not crazy expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-7S4Z-7213-KNOB-GEAR-CHANGE/dp/B001H1KTJ8
Thanks. I may just go ahead and do that. But I've learned my lesson working on cars so I'll probably have to have a shop install it. That's probably $90 bucks right there (plus the $40 for the piece). In preparation for selling the car, do you think it's worth it just to get the whole thing fixes for $130?

There is a setscrew hole lower down that when loosened lets the top handle come off but be warned you will be stretching the OD switch cables by doing it. They have to be unplugged underneath shifter. That means console must be off. The black button may well simply snap into place. If broken you're not losing anything by fishing around to see if the rest of it comes out to simply snap in another. There is a spring and likely a locator pin of some type behind it.
Well, there's definitely some of the broken off plastic still stuck in the hole. I still keep the black button in there, but it's loose and falls out easily. I suppose I can take a light and look in there and see if I can fish out the broken piece, but even if I did, not sure what I'm gonna replace it with. I guess I could keep using the broken off button. Maybe try and glue it in there?

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
No glue on the planet will hold that oily based plastic in place, some Focus plastics are ungluable. Besides that the button has to work in and out, what do you think you are going to glue it to?

Having a shop fix that because too timid to do it yourself? You're cutting yourself WAAAY short there. How one ends up 70 years old and all your hard earned cash gone at 50. The rest of the planet loves it when you do that, it means more for them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You don't need the whole shifter assembly. All you need is the shifter handle which is separately replaceable either from a JY pull or even new Ford. It is held on by a single Allen head screw and has an electrical connector for the O/D switch. A quick eBay search for "new 2006 ford focus shift handle" (though the handle should be the same from 2004 - 2007 according to the part description) shows you can get a new one for about $40-45 shipped from Ford dealers that sell on eBay.

To get to that connector one needs to remove the console assembly and do some finagling as it is not in the most convenient of places to work but it is possible. I had to reattach that connector after the handle popped loose after the screw became to loose. Moral of the story keep that screw tight.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So there's no way to replace the shifter without removing the console assembly? There's no way to just take off the top of the shifter and plug in a new one?

If not, I'll have to figure out the console assembly issue. Hopefully it's not too bad. That's for the link about doing it ^

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's really not that bad taking the console off, you can practice at the junk yard if you go that route.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Automatic Gear shift button

Button only ?

Consider printing one, "thingiverse.com/thing:723589"

I've not done it, yet . . . waiting on my buddy with a printer.

2004 2005 2006 2007

1 - 11 of 11 Posts