Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've talked about it for a while, so I'm finally doing it. Please direct any of your photography gear related questions (new purchases, new releases, etc.) to this thread, and not the photography thread.

Since I started the thread, I'm going to push my own opinion onto everyone else [wiggle]. I think that the Sigma 17-70 (f/2.8-4.5 or f/2.8-4.0 OS) is a great lens that sits in a class of its own. It's a great walk-around focal length range, has a decent maximum aperture, great close-focus (~8 inches), and above all is extremely affordable. We bought one at work to test out and it's quickly become our favorite lens for both studio and field work.

So, what do you want to know?

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
We use to have a gear thread ... I guess it has gone the way of the "dodo".

Hmm, my favorite lenses:
For a Prime:
- Nikon 85 1.4D or G, Super nice creamy Bokeh
- Nikon 24 1.4 G, super nice lens.
- Canon 50 1.2 Manual, holy crap is this lens sharp, even at 1.2.
- Zeiss 100 1:2 Macro. I have used this lens on both a Canon and Nikon, wow, it's great.
- the Sony 16 2.8 (Nex Lens), I love how this auto-Focuses on my FS100, and has a great wide angle feel for a crop sensor.

For zooms:
- Nikon 28-70 2.8, Always a favorite walkaround and sharp lens for portraits.
- Canon 24-105 f4, This is one sharp lens by Canon, great all around lens.
- Either of the Canon or Nikon 70-200 2.8 version IIs. Great zoom lens and a must have in your arsenal kind of lens

Super Wides:
- Nikon 16-35 f4, very sharp.
- Tokina 11-16 2.8, great crop sensor wide.

These are what I have experienced to be some of the best lenses to me.

Ray

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Gf is offering to buy me a lens for xmas around the 200 to 300 range, any suggestions. I currently was debating on either a Nikon 35mm f1.8 prime or the 50mm f1.8 prime

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gf is offering to buy me a lens for xmas around the 200 to 300 range, any suggestions. I currently was debating on either a Nikon 35mm f1.8 prime or the 50mm f1.8 prime
Do you have a crop body or full frame? What do you plan on shooting? I always find that the best way to tell "what lens to get next" is to ask yourself, "what lens do I always wish I had when I'm out shooting?" For me, it's a super wide angle.

As far as portraits go, the 35 is good for knee-up shots, the 50 is going to be good for waist-up shots, and something like an 85 would be good for "head shot" type portraits. If you tend to take wider shots of larger objects, I would say the 35 out of those two. If you shoot smaller subjects, the 50 would be nice.

·
'Merica
1,701 Posts
Since I started the thread, I'm going to push my own opinion onto everyone else [wiggle]. I think that the Sigma 17-70 (f/2.8-4.5 or f/2.8-4.0 OS) is a great lens that sits in a class of its own. It's a great walk-around focal length range, has a decent maximum aperture, great close-focus (~8 inches), and above all is extremely affordable.
Is the sigma pretty wide at 17mm?

and how much you talking when you say extremely affordable?

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the sigma pretty wide at 17mm?

and how much you talking when you say extremely affordable?
It's as wide as any other DX lens at 17mm lol.

The original non-OS can be found pretty easily for $300-350 in nice condition. The new one with a wider maximum aperture at 70mm and OS is currently $400 brand new on BH Photo. Good luck finding another lens with that zoom range, maximum aperture, minimum focus distance, and OS—it doesn't exist.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
17mm is a good wide for a DX lens. It's not super wide, but fairly wide. Great for cars or groups of people.

Yes, a 17mm 2.8 under 350 is real good.

I say check out the used section of BHPhotoVideo or Adorama. You can find some great lenses for cheaper, even used. Remember most used lenses are still great and can all take a good beating for the cost.

Ray

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I own a Nikon D5100, It's a DX model camera, Maybe in the future I will own a Full frame camera. I currently shoot randomly and anything but I am starting to swing over to portraits and automotive photography. I think I am going to go with the 35mm seeing I can use it for various shooting.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
It's a sharp lens, I own the 35 1.8.

And will still keep it when I get a full frame next year. The Nikon Glass has great resolution for video.

Ray

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sweet, can't wait to try some new photos with it especially Disneyland photography on the rides

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a sharp lens, I own the 35 1.8.

And will still keep it when I get a full frame next year. The Nikon Glass has great resolution for video.

Ray
The 35mm f/1.8 still looks pretty good on full frame. Here's a shot I took with one strapped to a D600 (FB):

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
a 35mm f2 is me "go to" lens at the moment.

Way too sharp...out of control really...although it's STILL not wide enough for car shows if there is any sort of crowd there.

Some 35mm f2 nonsense:

Settings: 1/80 ƒ/8 ISO 100 35mm

IMG_4636_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Settings: 1/60 ƒ/2.5 ISO 400 35mm

IMG_3930_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Settings: 1/80 ƒ/3.5 ISO 400 35mm

IMG_4045_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

Settings: 1/320 ƒ/4 ISO 100 35mm

IMG_1830_bw_wm by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Why not?

The 5D Mark I isn't bad,aside from the video capabilities, they kept improving the low-light gain on the camera and better menu system.

If you are just wanting a good Full Frame and just to get your feet wet, then yes the Canon 5D Mark I isn't bad. And if you are Nikon-peep, the D700 is the equivalent to the Canon 5D Mark I and just as good for Full Frames.

Ray

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Before committing to it, make sure your lenses are full frame capable. If not, you will be wasting away the full-frame capability and will be shooting some high quality crop-frame shots. Or be getting the great vignetting on each of your photos ... sure it's cool, but you don't want it on every photo.

Ray

·
Love CA / Hate CARB
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Until January 15, the Sigma 17-70 OS lens I was praising so much is on sale at BH Photo for $300 (down from $450).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts