Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I want to change my gear oil, reguardless if it needs it or not, I think it will help if i put some redline in it. I have looked everywhere, and I cannot find out how to go about this...Please someone give me some help....

·
Focus Enthusiast
604 Posts
To Drain:

1) Raise and support vehicle.

2) Remove the drain plug and drain the fluid into a suitable container.

3) Install drain plug.

4) Lower Vehicle

To Fill:

1) Raise and support vehicle.

2) Remove the fill plug.

3) Fill the transaxle to 0-5 mm below the lower edge of the filler plug bore with the correct fluid that's recommended for your vehicle.

4) Install fill plug and lower vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drain and fill plugs

Remove the fill-plug first! You don't want to drain the tranny, then find you can't get the fill plug out.....

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Remove the fill-plug first!"

Excellent advice.

And it will drain much quicker, smoother, and with less splash if the fill plug is removed first.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Re: Drain and fill plugs

carguymb said:
Remove the fill-plug first! You don't want to drain the tranny, then find you can't get the fill plug out.....
LOL Here's a guy who has obviously had a bad experience. Who else would think of something like that? But it sure is a good little piece of advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not with the Focus, though! It was an oil filter I couldn't remove, after I'd drained the oil. Not a biggie, but a nuisance, and one of those lessons that stays with you....

Now it's just good practice. Make sure you can get all the fasteners loose before removing them (sod's law says it's always the last one that sticks, and then you're left with a part hanging from a stuck bolt. Fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts