Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced my clutch in my 01 ford focus se, and i am about refill the transmission but i dnt know what kind of fluid i should use, i heard gear oil, automatic transmission fluid and even regular oil, plz help me out i am so confussed

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
It depends on what model/what tranny you have. In 2001 the SPI engine with the IB5 tranny (I think) uses the Ford full synthetic tranny fluid and the Zetec with the MTX 75 tranny uses Mercon auto tranny fluid. BUT.......always check your Owner's Manual under Capacities and Specifications to verify. If you don't have an Owner's Manual you can download one here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

·
Registered
917 Posts
Early Foci used Mercon ATF to improve fuel economy but they were having tranny problems, so the factory switched to Motorcraft Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid. That is what I would use, they sell it at Ford dealers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have run Mobil 1 ATF for the past 45,000 miles without a problem. Smooth shifts, etc. But, reading the various posts regarding what fluid (ATF, motor oil, manual fluid) to run through the SVT gearbox, I decided to find out for myself what the manufacturer specifies (and yes, I know the 2004 SVT manual is contradictory).

I called the Ford Performance Group (what used to be Ford SVT) and asked, explaining that the manual states both manual fluid and ATF. The reply was that the SVT 6-speed Getrag tranny is NOT the same as the MTX-75 and yes, it does call for Mercon V fluid - which IS ATF. With that, I'm sticking with what I'm using (although the Royal Purple ATF is tempting, but is it worth an extra $3 per quart?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
There is a special fluid for that, but in a jam, I put mobil 1 10w-30 in my daughter's ib5, and it's been fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i just replaced my clutch in my 01 ford focus se, and i am about refill the transmission but i dnt know what kind of fluid i should use, i heard gear oil, automatic transmission fluid and even regular oil, plz help me out i am so confussed
How do you replaced your clutch? Can you give me detailed instructions? I wanted to do it myself also. I have 70 000 miles on my 01 Ztec tranny. I think it is time to replace? How can I know it is time to replace clutch? What is it mean slippage in tranny exactly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts