Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
grinding noise shifting into 2nd gear at high

ic ppl are having this problem too im a car dealer i have a 2002 focus svt black with 75 on it, drove it and realized shifting normally into 2nd it would not grind , but at high rpms and shifting fast it would grind, anyway we ripped it apart i found that there is a 1inch square plastic bushing on the shift linkage, i called countless ford dealers and none has any dam idea what im talking about and want to sell me the whole transmission, does anyone know the part number or no anything about this, the ford dealers dont even have a pic of the 6spd tranny so i can pick it out for myslef.... HELP!!! car is sitting and needs to be sold lol my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
505 Posts
Take the counter weight off and see if that helps...Our trannys are infamous for being "hard" to get in to some gears...I had this issues and put a new rear tranny mount and took the counter weight off the shift linkage and it shifts like a new tranny.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Granny-shifting, not double-clutching like you should.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
I love the help you guys give people who come with real concerns... Have you checked out the TSB's? There are two: one specificto 5th gear and one for all gears. Tell your dealer and check it out!

04-21-5 NOV 04 M/T - Hard to Shift Gears

05-8-1 MAY 05 M/T - Difficult or Unable to Shift Into 5th Gear

There is also a TSB for clutch wear which also includes the actual Getrag tranny. I had this done about a year ago and shifting improved dramatically.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
TSB 04-21-5

Difficulty Changing Gears - Unable To Engage Gears

2000-2005 Focus

Issue
Some 2000-2005 Focus vehicles, equipped with manual transmissions, may exhibit difficulty in changing gears, or an inability to engage certain gears.

Action
Check for proper adjustment of gearshift cables and attachment of the cables to the bracket (located under the battery tray area). If the cable(s) are detached from the bracket, reattatch and lock in place per procedure in Workshop Manual Section 308-06. If the cable(s) are still attached, perform gearshift cable adjustment per procedure in Workshop Manual in Section 308-00. DO NOT replace the shift cable(s) unless there are signs of damage.

Warranty Status
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Haven't been able to find 05-8-1. [:(]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts