Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 months, 2500 miles and 4 trips to the service department I'm ready to give up on my SEL w/ MFT. Last night I got in my car, started it and put my foot on the brake to put the car in reverse (I have an automatic) and a loud platic like "clicking" noise came from my gear box. Now every time I tap the brake when the car is in park I hear this noise. I heard this noise before on a loaner I was driving and figured it was because the loaner was a hunk of junk and on its last leg...has anyone else had this problem? It almost sounds like a cable is loose or a switch is bad...

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Last night I got in my car, started it and put my foot on the brake to put the car in reverse (I have an automatic) and a loud platic like "clicking" noise came from my gear box. Now every time I tap the brake when the car is in park I hear this noise.
Second. I have this issue too.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Are you sure it's not the sound of the Park lock releasing?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure it's not the sound of the Park lock releasing?
I have never heard this noise before last night and conditions were the same as always...no music, fan on lowest setting, in an underground parking garage with no traffic noise. It's quite loud as well...I'll try to take a video of the sound and post it when I leave work tonight.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I'm just taking a stab in the dark. It's been a very, very long time since I've owned an automatic, but I seem to recall there always being a click. I hope for you guys that's all it is and not an actual issue.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not entirely related, but use your parking brake before putting the car in park. Puts less stress on the transmission.

·
Registered
534 Posts
No clicking noise here. (manual gear box) :D Sorry, had to.

But on a serious note. If the noise is heard when applying the brake while in park, it is your BTSI cable. (brake transmission shifter interlock) You can test this theory by depressing the brake with one HAND, and pushing on the brake light switch with your other hand. Yes it does take kneeling on the ground to do. If the same noise is heard. BTSI cable it is.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not entirely related, but use your parking brake before putting the car in park. Puts less stress on the transmission.
How so? [unsure] I would love to hear the reasoning behind this.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
How so? [unsure] I would love to hear the reasoning behind this.
I'm going to answer for him as this is simple logic. The brake is holding the weight of the car. Not the transmission.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes that is true if your are parking on an incline or decline. It does nothing for you if you are parked on a flat surface. There is no pressure against your park pin then.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
yes that is true if your are parking on an incline or decline. It does nothing for you if you are parked on a flat surface. There is no pressure against your park pin then.
Pretty much anywhere I park my car that looks true flat, it will still roll if I leave it in neutral.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do whatever you want. There is no need to set the parking brake on a flat surface.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Do whatever you want. There is no need to set the parking brake on a flat surface.
Because it takes so much time and energy to set the parking brake as an extra precaution...[facepalm]

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
It is better to put it in Park and apply the hand brake (in that order) while holding your foot on the brake.

One thing that you don't want to do is to have the transmission in D and the parking brake on without your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Because it takes so much time and energy to set the parking brake as an extra precaution...[facepalm]
I don't use it unless I'm on a hill for fear I may forget to disengage it before I (attempt to) pull away.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Thats about the only time i use it too. Its just annoying that just because somebody does something differently others see it as wrong.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
I don't use it unless I'm on a hill for fear I may forget to disengage it before I (attempt to) pull away.
You'll notice it in exactly 2.3 seconds. I did this in my Fusion the other day. Car struggled to back out of the spot before I remembered the parking brake. DOH!

I did it all the time in my Mazdaspeed3. That car had enough power to push overcome the parking brake relatively easily. [hihi]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I did it all the time in my Mazdaspeed3. That car had enough power to push overcome the parking brake relatively easily. [hihi]
Yeah, my brother drove a mile in my parents' ZX5 before he realized it was still on. Whoops...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts