Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i bought some glow face gauges off ebay, and last night i installed them. I wired them to the 12V power from the headlight switch harness, so it dims with the rest of the dashlights, and i grounded it to the bolt next to the fuse panel. the gauges came with an inverter and a button. Okay, so its all wired up and ready to go. i turn the car on, they dont work...shit. i press the button, oh sweet, it works!!!...but only when im holding the button down, it doesnt stay down. and the button's not broken because i tried two, they both only work when the buttons pressed down. Okay, easy fix, i just solder the two wires together and remove the button altogether right? wrong, because when i turn the car off, or turn the lights off, and then try to turn them back on, they guages dont light up. everytime i cut power form the gauges, i have to release the button, and then press it again for them to work. does that make any sense at all? no, it doesnt, but if im holding the button, they light up. then i cut off the power with the button still pressed, then power back on, it doesnt light up. i have to release the button and then press again for it to work. does anybody know whats causing all of this??? i really just want them to light up, they look great! ill rep ya ;)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Is the dimmer switch on full power ? I know mine will start to flicker if I don't have them set right. I don't have a on/off with my gauges. Mine came with a dimmer on it's own. I have an automatic and I tapped the wire from the console that lights up the gear selector. I didn't want to mess with the headlight harness.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I'm thinking it may not work correctly wired into the dimmer circuit. Try connecting it to a light or a 12v source that does not dim. If you hook it into the tail light circuit, it will come on when the lights are on only, but won't dim.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well wheres the tail light circuit?? or where else could i power it to?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I don't have a manual for your year.....but your owners manual should show what fuse controls the circuit. You then need to get a fuse tap from a parts store.....this allows you to use that circuit to power your new lights.

If you want the lights to come on independent from the tail lights, you could tap into the wiper circuit for instance. Then your new lights could come on any time the ign was on.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, ill just get a fuse tap when i have some spare time and test it out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts