Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright, im getting a triple guage pod soon, probably this weekend, so i have some questions about the gauges.. so ill be getting a water temp + voltmeter .. and i want an oil pressure one but electrical..
im not really worrying about water temp and voltmeter but which one should i get for the oil pressure?
..something like this with a sending unit: ?!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/Oil-Pressure-Gauges/GP_2010617_N_111+10201+600002118_10101.jcw
or any other good one you use?

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
I got an autometer oil pressure gauge the nv series since it matches the green glow. its around 200 with the sending unit and stuff. Not hard to install just a major pita.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got an autometer oil pressure gauge the nv series since it matches the green glow. its around 200 with the sending unit and stuff. Not hard to install just a major pita.
200? [80?] lol no, i dont think im gonna afford to spend 200 just for 1 gauge, i was planning to spend 150 at most for 3 gauges and a gauge pod..

but urs is pretty much the same as one i posted right? just connect the sending unit to the oil line and then run an ELECTRICAL wire to the gauge right?

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
i dont know how to get mine to work. they came allready on the car and hav never worked

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
200? [80?] lol no, i dont think im gonna afford to spend 200 just for 1 gauge, i was planning to spend 150 at most for 3 gauges and a gauge pod..

but urs is pretty much the same as one i posted right? just connect the sending unit to the oil line and then run an ELECTRICAL wire to the gauge right?
$200 to me is for sure worth it to have a few extra seconds so shut off your car if you lose oil pressure.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
^^^ there better be a good reason you lost oil pressure lol... if your car is stock and you do not do any racing... you really do not need a oil pressure gauge. but it's never a "bad" thing to have one.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
^^^ there better be a good reason you lost oil pressure lol... if your car is stock and you do not do any racing... you really do not need a oil pressure gauge. but it's never a "bad" thing to have one.
this is true one does not need an oil pressure gauge, but it sure beats the hell out of the idiot light. and my god the cool factor increase!

correct the one you posted is the same as mine the only thing that connects the gauge to the sending unit mounted on the motor is an electrical wire. if you wanted to be SUPER ghetto and i mean super ghetto you could basically tap into the stock oil sending unit, mount the gauge on the rad support and plug it in then run a wire to ground/power and it'd work lol.

its really very simple, its just so annoying because there is very little room to work. i had to take off the oil adapter that sits on the motor to put the stupid little T on, be careful of the gasket when doing so, its metal so you won't really own it but you should gave some gasket grease or something to put on it.

wiring was the other major annoyance because i tried to get some help from people on FJ but everyones like, "zomg i did this mod but i has no idea what wires go where" so i literally had to figure out myself what wires to go tap into so the gauge lights up with my parking lights. surprisingly that was very simple you can pop out the plug that goes into said switch and look at the wires.

if you need any help with it, just ask[wiggle]

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is true one does not need an oil pressure gauge, but it sure beats the hell out of the idiot light. and my god the cool factor increase!

correct the one you posted is the same as mine the only thing that connects the gauge to the sending unit mounted on the motor is an electrical wire. if you wanted to be SUPER ghetto and i mean super ghetto you could basically tap into the stock oil sending unit, mount the gauge on the rad support and plug it in then run a wire to ground/power and it'd work lol.

its really very simple, its just so annoying because there is very little room to work. i had to take off the oil adapter that sits on the motor to put the stupid little T on, be careful of the gasket when doing so, its metal so you won't really own it but you should gave some gasket grease or something to put on it.

wiring was the other major annoyance because i tried to get some help from people on FJ but everyones like, "zomg i did this mod but i has no idea what wires go where" so i literally had to figure out myself what wires to go tap into so the gauge lights up with my parking lights. surprisingly that was very simple you can pop out the plug that goes into said switch and look at the wires.

if you need any help with it, just ask[wiggle]

alright, thx alot, i dont even have a gauge pod yet..lol, but im getting it pretty soon off of one guy on here, and after that ill getting the gauges, so sometime next week ill be installing it hopefully.
does that T thing come with a gauge or i have buy it separately?

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
you have to buy it separatley, and make sure you get the smallest one you can find, not even kidding!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol, how its called "T" or like T tube?
+ another question... im thinking to wire it to the dimming thing, so i could regulate the dim with the regular gauges? is it possible anyone done it? should i be getting a bigger fuse or something? or is it even possible with those bulbs?
+ another question lol
i dont want a water temp one, what should i get instead? thats not gonna be like very very pointlessly? im thinking maybe a a/f narrowband (i know its pointless, but its easy to install) or any other easy ones to install?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
^^^ that's how i have mine done I have ford racing gauges so i don't have that bright glow like those gauges but mines been wired to my dimming switch for like 5 years now.

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
lol, how its called "T" or like T tube?
+ another question... im thinking to wire it to the dimming thing, so i could regulate the dim with the regular gauges? is it possible anyone done it? should i be getting a bigger fuse or something? or is it even possible with those bulbs?
+ another question lol
i dont want a water temp one, what should i get instead? thats not gonna be like very very pointlessly? im thinking maybe a a/f narrowband (i know its pointless, but its easy to install) or any other easy ones to install?
its just called a T you can get it at like home depot or something.

i believe if you wire it into the parking light switch like i did the dimmer is already integrated into the lights somehow because you can dim the cluster and thats what its in.

if you don't want water temp get oil pressure and a volt meter thats what i got, and its all you really need. if you really want something else get a wideband a/f gauge, dont bother with the narrowband.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i decided to get an oil temp oil press and voltmeter.. and probably get an oil filter plate

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
sounds good, but your oil/water temp reflect each other [wrenchin]

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
if you havea water temp gauge yes. if the water temp goes up so will the oil temp. it has to they are running through the same block so it would be impossable for one to be colder than the other

·
Leave it stock?
2,284 Posts
IMO stock one is fine for most people. even if its not accurate its not like its going to shoot up to the red INSTANTLY it'd be gradual, so you just turn off the car...and if you actually did NEED an aftermarket water-temp gauge, im sure there'd be a few more important ones going along with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts