Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres whats going on. Im sure most of us are familiar with the gauge cluster test mode you can do by holding the trip odo button down during start-up. Ok well you know how when you do that it says "Test gauge" and all the needles move and max out for a second and then go back down to where they are supposed to be. Well every single time I start my focus my needles do this, whithout me doing anything, im not doing the test mode or anything, they just do that anytime the car is started, why is it doing this? It also seems like the car doesnt know what its doing initally, kinda like when you clear the ECU by a battery disconnect how it idles really high (2k rpm) for a few minutes and then kinda works stuff out back to normal, and doesn't drive all that great for a few miles. I cant figure out whats going on, its just started doing this in the cold weather about a week ago

·
Registered
697 Posts
i had same problem for a while. if you've got a security alarm water may have leaked into a wire and/or also check the chord/connectors. mine were loose when this happened and i tighten them to bejesus

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have a security system, but I dont think theres any water in any wiring, I also checked the battery connections, etc no luck, any other ideas?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Maybe your Trip Odometer reset button is stuck/push in.
Have you tried to verify that it's functional by pressing it to see if the trip odometer resets
when the car is running ?

·
Registered
697 Posts
ignition switch could be trippy or loose?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Problem is very simple. Connection is bad or to low voltage from the battery. In case of bad connection or low battery voltage the computer resets itself.

I saw this problem many times on very-very cold nights and mornings. Not a big problem, just disturbing a bit, you can forget it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
kind of hard to forget if it keeps doing this.... just my opinion

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so how exactly can I fix it, just replacing the battery is the only way? My alternator is also under-driven

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
its your connection, clean up the terminals with a brush, baking soda and water, then reatach the cables snugly...seen it a ton of times.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just recently tried that Kickin, its still doing it, terminals are nice and clean, tight, and all wiring looks sealed and good?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
then being your in colorado...cars prolly lacking cold cranking amps for early morning starts. doesn't get that cold here so that doesn't happen, but its possible seeing where you live

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
umm Im not sure its the factory motorcraft battery, its never been changed. I cant remember what the CCA are on those, but it sounds like youd probably already know

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
When you accessed the test mode, did you access any of the options or did you access the Test mode then turn you car off ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had this problem too and it was driving me nutty. I was in the middle of my sound system install and had a 4 gauge wire connected to batt but not to the amp yet and it was doing the gauge wipe. When i got everything installed it stopped. then when i was installing a second trunk light and started my car with some open 12v wires it did it again. And when my brake light went out it did it too. Seems to happen to me when somthing shorts out or is disconnected. Check your fuses and connecitons if you have aftermarket stuff. Check all your lights and stuff like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts