1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

Problem #1 - Fuel Pressure Gauge

I screwed up - I bought this:

What I should have bought was an electronic version but I can't seem to locate one - any thoughts?

Problem #2 - Water Temp and Oil Pressure - Where/How to connect?

What additional parts do I need and where should I connect the Water and Oil Pressure Gauges?

Note: I searched the How-To guides and I found instructions for Oil Pressure for a Zetec (http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/oilgauge.htm) but nothing for Duratec 2.3L or for Water Temp.

Any or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
For the oil pressure gauge, you will either need to install a 'T' fitting where the OEM sensor is (on the oil filter adapter), or get a dual sending unit that sends a signal to the ECU as well as drive the gauge.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
why the hell do people get mechanical oil/water guages, and run the piping up into the cabin. I've seen too many bad jobs, where fittings werent done right, and the interior got covered in oil. I was driving my friends Civic, when his oil pres/temp gauges, the piping split. Which sprayed high pressure,very hot oil all over me. hurt like hell.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your observation. It would have been even more useful had to you provided a link to your preferred non-mechanical guages.

I am not committed to the Mechanical ones and would be happy to change. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Oh, I didn't see you were going mechanical.

I felt the ease of installation and the safety of electrical outweighed the benefit of the precision of a mechanical.

I'm running VDO gauges just because they fit the style I was looking for, but I also like the Autometer gauges as well. FR gauges don't strike my fancy much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Egz,

This was very helpful advice but finding the right parts is not so easy - sending units, wiring harness choices coupled with trying to find gauges which are 2 1/16 to fit in the pillar pod I already have is not proving very easy.

Any suggestions on how I aviod buying the wrong things again?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Give this a whirl: http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeseries.aspx

They make it really easy to pick what you are looking for. Select a face style, gauge type (mech, elec., full elec), size, and guage, and you are good to go. They usually include the sender with the gauge. Prices tend to be a little high, but not extreme.

Another option is this: http://www.egauges.com/

I went with VDO because they had the style I was looking for at the time. eGauges doesn't bundle the sending unit with the gauge, so you have more options.

Feel free to post up what ideas you are looking at for more feedback.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
One thing to note, full sweep electric tend to be pricier than semi-sweep. Outside of cost, the full sweep does allow for a finer fidelity, which is nice.

That should cover you on gauges and sending units. Now for wiring, its usually a make-it-yourself deal. When I wired mine, there are 5 different wires for each gauge. +12v, Ground, Signal, and for the lights, it was +12v upon illumination and ground. The back of each gauge was a spade, so I made my wires have a female spade connector. As for wiring, I went to Autozone, and bough different colored wire packs.

Grounds are easy, just find a good bolt to run to. I grouped the illumination grounds together, but separated the guage grounds to different points to prevent any feedback.

Illumination 12v I got from the light switch. Do a search either here or [FJ] and you should find a nice guage of where to get it.

+12 switched for the gauges came from the fuse box. I cheated and added a add-a-circuit fuse to the box, which basically split 1 fuse into 2. There are other ways to do this, but what ever method you pick, make sure you have a fuse somewhere.

Finally for the signal wire, the hardest thing is getting it through the firewall. I read all sorts of idea of where was easiest to drill through (I didn't like feeding it through the fender, and back in through the door), but what ended up working for me is finding a blank spot in the green piece that houses the clutch cable, and drilled through there. Just be very careful. I'm sure there is a better area, but I got tired of looking for it.

Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts