Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i really REALLY want to change the color of my gauge lights. i HATE the green that comes with the focus. i really really like the blue/purple color of the jettas and most VW's. i dont want to change the actual gauges (yet?), i just want to change the color. ive read the how-to on this and it seems like it would be somewhat easy...for me. i know absoultely nothing about electrical or cars or anything that has to do with either. so i just take the face plate thing out from the gauges and put colored tape over the numbers? just checking because i know if i try to wing it, my car will end up looking like someone blew a bomb up inside of it [V]

·
Registered
174 Posts
What year is your Focus?

On all years, the light bulbs inside the cluster are clear, and the colored filter is inside the gauge face itself. Now, I have heard of people changing the color of the stock faces by carefully wiping the white & green areas on the back of the gauge face with acetone or paint thinner. This will remove the factory color. Then you can paint whatever color that you would like, but it needs to be a transparent color.

You will not be able to get the bright blue/purple that you desire with using the stock lighting. They are simply not bright enough. You might be able to get the color, but it will be so dim that it will be very hard to see at night, and that's just not safe.

Depending on the year, you might be able to swap out the bulbs for some colored LED's. This might get the blue that you desire, but you will have to remove the green from the stock faces.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 2002 ZTS

so i would have to wipe down the green areas until its clear, and replace the LEDs with blue ones? so i would just be unsoldering the lights and soldering on new ones? also i read the how-to on how to make the custom red needles, which is what i want. is this going to be harder than something i should try on my own?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, since you have an '02 ZTS (I assume with a tachometer), you will have 3 bulbs inside the cluster. They are clear 194 bulbs now. If you change the color in the gauge faces to clear, then you can install colored LED bulbs in the sockets where the factory bulbs are now. The result might not be like the VW's, but it will definately be different than stock.

No soldering is required.

As for the red needles, you can paint your existing orange ones. Or you can get a set of needles from a Contour. Those are clear with white paint on the back side. If you remove the white paint and replace it with red, you will ahve the red needles that you desire. It's not tough, just take your time.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so are you saying, if i get the orange off the needles and paint them red, it would have the same effect without having to go through too much trouble?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well, since the needles are made of an orange plastic, there is really no way of changing the color of the needle. But you can make it darker. This is where the transparent red paint comes in. Since red is close to orange, it will make the needle appear redder. The down side is that the needle will not light up as well at night.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Get clear needles off a contour. I have a set, but only one large needle since the contour didnt have a tach in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts